Best free and private e-mail?

David M January 25, 2014

I’ve been using Hushmail for some years now, but I would prefer something free, but still private and secure.

I’ve looked at other secure providers, they are either paid or with very little inbox space, not suitable for daily use.

Also looked at mail.ru, but meh…

What other options can I check?

What do you consider as a private and secure email service? Hushmail is no different than any other free email service out there.

They offer SSL and TLS like all the other freemail services.
    Their service is offered in compliance with national and international law, policies and internet regulations. So they will hand over or your data e.g. to law enforcement or enable them to monitor your activity if requested.

While Hushmail supports PGP out of the box they keep track of both, the private and public key so they can automatically decrypt the emails sent from Hushmail to another Hushmail user. This ultimately means they can decrypt all of your email data if required.

So if you want to be secure you are better off using a OpenPGP solution locally, copy & paste the encrypted message into a new email and deliver the public key to the other person by hand (or phone or whatever). You can do the very same with any other email provider.