What are the best brands for tablets in India?

Drsunil V June 4, 2014

Which brands of tablets have a good reputation for build quality and after-sales service in India?

Looking into your previous response,you intend to use tablet for internet and calling but also want good after sales service.

For this,you have to straightly ignore Micromax,Karbon,Lava and all Chinese OEM brands renamed by Indian companies. It's very hard to say that Samsung will be of good built quality as MUO Answers at regular intervals recieve many complaints from users about not powering up,battery not charging etc..

• Drsunil V

Dear friend, if one ignores the companies you mentioned, then please tell which companies you recommend?

• Drsunil V

Also , Please tell your view about videocon tabs. It is reputed old company in another product ( tv ). So can it be relied for build quality for tabs?

• Susendeep D

If anyone ignores the companies mentioned by me,then anyone will miss 3G calling feature which Samsung(as a non Chinese brand) provides.It's fact that for tablets,Apple is best.

Micromax and Videocon's hardware are same as they simply rename it to their won brand name.Videocon doesn't have many service centres in India and hence you'll have to contact their customer support for help.

• Drsunil V

thanks. i meant to ask , which company other than Apple , is reliable to buy tabs?

• Susendeep D

Other than Apple,Samsung,Sony and Nexus by Asus are reliable.

• Dr.sunil V

I understand

• Drsunil V

Very useful. I read the full article and noted few models

DELL, ACER, ASUS, Samsung, LENOVO, HP, APPLE, MICROSOFT, etc.

Lot of choices of brands available with good build quality and after sales service depending on the OS of choice and obviously your budget. Major tablet OS are iOS, Android and Windows.

• Dr.sunil V

I am looking for low-budget tab for basic internet use , having sim card 3G facility, I can accept RAM as less as 512 mb and processor 1GHZ ( dual core , even single core acceptable ). But it should be robust , reputed and after sales service quick. What are you views about Micromax and Croma tabs? as they provide advanced specs at low price and reputed quality. Croma is nearby , so service is big plus point. What you think about Lenovo. I heard it is china brand. How are Lenovo tab's reviews and service?

Cannot comment about Croma and neither me nor any of my acquaintances have used the particular brand. However, one of my ex-colleague used to use Micromax phone which developed a problem and after sales support was a pain for it as Micromax have very few support centers at Kolkata, therefore these centers have huge queues and the wait time is intolerable. As tablets are not a everyday purchase item, invest marginally bit more but go for a reputed brand as all the above suggested above, as you will get a better after sales support, if required. You can look into Samsung Tab 3 Neo which is around INR 12,750 apprx, with 3G calling facility. Check the specification at https://www.samsungindiaestore.com/Products/tablets/Tab_3_Neo_T111NDWA . It is availabe at INR 11,299 apprx. at ShopClues.com http://www.shopclues.com/product-2593716.html . Yes, Lenovo is China owned brand, but with very high premium quality standards. They now own the full IBM range of PCs, laptops and tablets and in future will also own the IBM server range. China now has very high quality players like Lenovo, Oppo, etc. even all Apple devices are manufactured there.

Choices under good Brand names :

Samsung Tab 3 Neo with 3G @ 11.5K apprx.
      Dell Venue 7 Tablet with 3G @ 12.5K apprx.
      Lenovo A7-50 with 3G @ 14.7K apprx.

Best buy Samsung Tab 3 Neo with 3G as new arrival

• Chinmay S

Lenovo is a Chinese company but Apple is not a Chinese company. By manufacturing in China, Apple gets the benefit of Economies of scale. There is a difference between Chinese company and company manufacturing its products in China.

Yes Chinmay Sapuria, I am well aware of the difference. However, it is high time that we need to come out of our Indian mentality, that all chinese products are of inferior quality. I am stressing, that is not the case. I dare any Indian manufacturers to kindly touch the quality standards of let's say a Lenovo or a Oppo product. What I am stressing at, it that we need to stop generalising about chinese quality and judge them on case to case depending on the brand and product as we do with products from other countries. I hope you get my point. :) Cheers!!!

• Drsunil V

Kolkata , nice! Hare Krishna! Have you been to Mayapur?

Regarding tabs , I have decided to get a cheaper model mainly as an optional requirement for fun as i enjoy doing regular internet stuff on large screen on tab than on smart phone. Yes , i agree your view that not all chinese models are unreliable. In fact , i have been using micromax phones since few years and found micromax products providing advanced specs , OS and features ( for eg,, P410i tab ) at almost half prices of estabilished brands and at same time i did not encounter any problems with my micromax phones experiences. So i guess that it would be good decision if i go for a tab model mentioned earlier above in bracket. Though i have heard of micromax tabs being defective , it is a negligible percentage and has happened even with samsung tab users as mentioned by another respondent on this url.

Please tell , a) to buy if you had to choose between croma and micromax in regards to build quality , which would you choose? b) Also , croma being a local manufacturer , the service and parts won't be problem?

You mentioned about Lenovo. How is it's service? any idea

• Rajaa C

Yes, I have been to Mayapur :) I have personally not used either Micromax or Croma. Shared the Micromax experience of my colleague, however as you are already using the brand personally and have a good experience, you would be the best judge. Yes, true, Croma is a local name, however not aware if their devices are low end chinese assembly or not. However, their retails outlets are well spread out, hopefully assuring a better after sles, and yes is backed up by one of the most trustable names in India, the TATA 's. :) So, I hope should not be crap as TATA'a have a reputation to maintain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crom%C4%81

• Drsunil V

thanks. i looked into the samsung tablet mentioned by you as : -- quote " You can look into Samsung Tab 3 Neo which is around INR 12,750 apprx, with 3G calling facility. Check the specification at https://www.samsungindiaestore.com/Products/tablets/Tab_3_Neo_T111NDWA ." Please tell does it have front camera?

It has a CMOS 2MP rear camera with shot mode supported via software is Single,Panorama,Smile Shot,Shareshot / Buddy photo share . It does not have a front camera.

• Drsunil V

thanks. Is Acer the same co. which mfctrs Nexus device?

• Susendeep D

Nexus tablets are manufactured by Asus and Nexus smartphones by LG.

• Drsunil V

Thanks RC. I got Dell Venue 7 with 3G.
      SD , your point noted