What is the best antivirus solution for Windows 8?

December 17, 2013

What is the best antivirus for Windows 8? Is Windows Defender enough to protect Win 8 PCs??

I am using windows 8 64 bit. I uninstalled the Norton which was provided with it. I have windows defender now. I can’t rely on it though. My question is do I need another third party antivirus to protect my PC? I am thinking of using AVG if the answer to my question is yes. Will it (AVG) work for windows 8? Or do I have to update it to windows 8.1? Please help. Thanks in advance.

1. Logan J

Windows Defender.

• Bruce E

I really hope you are joking with that response especially when you consider that there have been quotes from Microsoft about it being a "baseline" to compare other products to and it has frequently performed poorly in independent lab testing. There are both free and paid solutions that perform FAR better than Windows Defender/Security Essentials.

2. Pull N

I currently use Yet Another Cleaner, light and smooth on my win 8 laptop

3. Hadi Nugraha

I've used ESET NOD32 for past 5 years. It's light and effective

4. Sudeep K

For the paid service - I would highly recommend Bitdefender as the first choice and Kaspersky as the second choice. Both are almost equally good in terms of virus and malware protection, with Bitdefender snatching the top spot from Kaspersky in AV Test ratings. I have had experience with both of them, and I found Bitdefender to be better in terms of speed and requirement of user intervention, that is, it requires practically no user interaction once set up properly, and doesn't hog the system resources.

If you are not doing any sensitive work you can avail yourself of free protection service, most notable of which are Avast, AVG and Avira.

5. Preetam Das

Best antivirus out there... COMMON SENSE 2014 !!

Well... Most of the malwares/virus come from the web, and if you can acquire a few basic safe browsing habits, even a very basic antivirus software can keep you safe.

Personally I use the following on my Windows 8.1 64-bit Laptop :
    1. Windows Defender
    2. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    3. Windows Firewall
    4. Epic Privacy Browser

The great thing about Windows Defender is that it doesn't slow down the system. Malwarebytes' provides an extra layer of protection (I use it for only On-Demand scanning). Previously I was paranoid about my computer's security, ended up installing a lot of antivirus softwares, firewalls etc. which resulted is a super slow, unstable system. Now, after years of experience, I go for a minimalist approach. On my older Windows 7 machine, I use Bitdefender Free Antivirus (really light on resources), aided by Malwarebytes' and Windows default firewall...

Hope that throws some light on the matter...

Regards,
    Preetam Das

6. Paul

Norton I.S. or Emsisoft Antimalware.

7. Shebin S

Die hard fan of comodo CIS. Try it... not recommended for novice.

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/security-software.php

8. Chinmay S

Bitdefender - The best antivirus available on this planet.

In schools the head is principal, in companies the head is Board of Director and in antivirus the head is Bitdefender.

9. Dan

Comodo or Kaspersky but you should google a bit about the latter's close relations with the Russian government and intelligence agency.

10. Abid M

Free from Microsoft - Security essential works best if you have good knowledge of security / web browsing and privacy.
    Open Source = Clam AntiVirus is good option if you go with open source technology.
    Paid = Personally I am using AVG Internet Security and i feel best security ever. Some other also I used like Kaspersky and Zone Alarm etc.
    Centralise - Server/Client Base = McAfee Enterprise is good and best with device control and web / email security.

Thanks for reading a long.. :)

11. ?????? ?

AVG 2014 is the best now

12. Azhar M

F-Secure (Paid) and AVG (Free). Souce: http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/

13. Ravi S

Almost every thing can be done by WINDOWS DEFENDER as substitute of an Anti-virus
    For Internet try COMODO FIREWALL (its free)..
    I am using these (BOTH) I am getting the protection almost like as INTERNET SECURITY softwares and using WINDOWS 8.1

14. Chris

I am a Webroot fanatic. Uses webroot secure anywhere complete for years now.
    It is the lightest and most stable according to me. It is cloud based. Provides mobile protection too.

15. bishal shrestha

there are many antiviruses but i would go for avast (for free version ).Don't go with my words .here the independent tests of antivirus software summary reports released annually shows everythings. this might help you to decide http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php
    and download link for avast http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index

16. Ashwin S

You can use any anti virus to remove viruses to optimize your PC performance. These day Paid and Free both are almost same, so i will not recommend any one to use a paid antivirus. Still, I am using a Avast antivirus and my PC is running smoothly. I had used paid version of Norton Antivirus that was also giving me the same performance so why use paid version.

17. RMC

Personally, I use STOPZILLA....it's not free, but it's reasonable in price. And it does a great job on my PC, my emails and my browsing.....

18. Mart

None here suggested webroot secure anywhere. Go ahead and try it and trust me you will dump all the software you are using.

19. Skeith

I have tried KIS2014 and Avast on windows 8. Avast was lighter and load faster. I recommend avast.

I tried other antivirus but not on windows 8

20. Satyan B
  21. Miroslav

1. Commercial AV (with a fine, unobtrusive firewall): ESET Smart Security
    2. Non-commercial one: COMODO Internet Security (AV+firewall, too); the second option could be AVAST Free AntiVirus
    To get some more info about various different AV programs and how they performed in tests, see http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/ - an excellent source of information ;-)

22. ArtV

ESET NOD32 has performed admirably in my office and clients computers for quite some time ... low overhead, reasonably priced, well behaved, efficient and consistently gets good reviews!

23. TucsonMatt

Emsisoft is awesome and one of the few that often gets 100% detection. It has two virus scanning engines rather than just one - one is Bitdefender and the other is, I believe, Vipre. It also has anti-malware protection, and you can also select an option for it to detect attempted installations of PUP's such as Ask toolbar, etc.

Avast is also very good, especially the paid version.

24. Vaibhav

After having used Norton , McAfee , Panda cloud etc.. , I have finally settled on Norton , It simply is the best one.
    How can I say that so easily ??? , Just use norton identity safe & visit the web , All banks , all major sites use norton protection , so if everyone is using it then it should be reliable , Shouldn't it ???

25. Victor

Avast anti virus is the most reliable option.. best protection and free! http://www.avast.com compatible with windows 8.1 and able to scan your computer from startup!

26. Troll

Avast by far the best free option out there, followed by Comodo and then AVG.

Dalsan's answer is very complete, and I agree with the gist of it. Windows Defender is a lot better than nothing, but if you can install something better, you should. Recently, I've been removing McAfee and AVG from clients' computers since they are very "top heavy" and significanly slow down the computer (they also have a tendency to interfere with the proper operation of the PC, particularly if the firewall is enabled).

Avast is an excellent choice for many users. Panda Cloud/Avira are both excellent and free (I prefer Avira, but it does suffer from the problems Dalsan mentions). I tried Comodo a while ago and was impressed, but I don't use it regularly so cannot comment on it. Norton, which is not free, is very light on resources, and effective (although again, if you use the "Internet Security Suite" then watch out for the firewall silently blocking your programs!).

Equally important is to decide on the second and third security programs to put on your computer. I would start with Malware Antimalware Free, which you should run on ocassion (both on a regular schedule, say, monthly, and on ocassion when you suspect there's something amiss with your computer). AntiToolbar is very nifty, although Avast contains some of its functionality. WOT or other extensions that warn you of risky web pages etc are also helpful (again, Avast includes some of that functionality).

There must be compatibility issues for antivirus if you upgrade to latest version of OS i.e. if you upgrade to Windows 8.1,then you'll have to update AVG to latest version to make it compatible with the OS.

Also,have a look at the updated article below -

Goodbye Microsoft Security Essentials: Microsoft Now Recommends You Use a Third-Party Antivirus

Windows Defender, as Hovsep suggests, is ok for manual protection. This means you should be knowledgeable and proactive about your browsing habits in order to be protected. I will give that Windows Defender integrates with Windows nicely and is unobtrusive. For free, it does a fair job of protection.

AVG, although highly suggested by many and is rated pretty high, has been getting resource hungry. If you have a system that is low on resources, such as processing speed and RAM, I would recommend going with another product. Protection should never compromise the performance of your computer.

Avast is a good alternative as it rates highly and is fairly light on resources. Protection is decent with this software.

If you want a lighter AV with decent protection, try Panda Cloud. It relies on internet connectivity in order to offer best protection since it compares installed and running software as well as files on the hard drives against an ever-growing list of known viruses and malware. There are free and paid versions, so you should try before you buy.

Avira, while very good at protecting your system, also gives off more false positives than most other AV software. The nag screens are not exactly minimal, but that is with the free version. There may be ways to remove the nag screens (removing or renaming the avnotify.exe file). Avira is light on resources, as well, but not as light as Panda Cloud.

Bitdefender is another highly recommended product that is good in protection and options. It is also decent on resource usage.

Another good paid AV is Norton Internet Security. They have made huge progress in lowering resources that it uses, and the protection is quite good.

I personally use Comodo Internet Security because of the extra options, and it is free. It includes sandbox modes, including a Virtual Kiosk virtual desktop environment that keeps what you are using and doing separate from the main system. This means that you can do whatever you want with very little worry about how much damage you are doing to the virtual environment; chances are, you will not damage your computer system at all. All you would have to do is revert the Virtual Kiosk to a previous working state, and off you go. Within the Virtual Kiosk is the option to use an on-board keyboard so that anything you enter into a web browser, such as banking information, would not be logged by a key logger. There are plenty of other options that makes this the right choice for me, but it is not for everyone.

This brings me to another point; what is great for one person may not be great for another. I like the higher level of detection by Avira, but the nag screens and false positives fit to be too much. Norton, I find, doesn't always work well with sine programs, and it is not free. AVG I couldn't find myself liking much.

I also would like to mention that I cannot bring myself to pay for protection that is not guaranteed to be fully effective. I would rather save the money, or the hassle with rebates to make paid subscriptions free, and educate myself on how to protect myself from new threats. I haven't been infected in over 5 years, so I can't say that paid programs work better than free software.

Other software to consider are AntiToolbar, WinPatrol, Web of Trust (WOT) browser add-on, Comodo Dragon instead of Google Chrome and/or Comodo Ice Dragon instead of Firefox, NoScript plugin for Firefox, as well as block unused ports that are known to pose a threat to the security of your system and network. Disable the remote desktop feature or function if you dint use it, and durable other features, functions, and services that could be used as an exploit.

There are plenty more things that can be done for protection, but would make this post much, much longer. If you have further questions, just ask.

• Dalsan M

*for minimal protection, not manual protection.

windows defender gives basic protection, if you don't go to suspicious sites and download suspicious files you can be OK, but always a good security tool is essential.

http://www.avg.com/eu-en/faq.num-5310
    AVG 2014 is compatible with all versions of Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Enterprise