Besides connecting to the Internet, how can WiFi be used?

Drsunil V April 24, 2014

How and what can be the uses of WiFi excluding Internet? In other words, can WiFi be used only for internet? Or can TeamViewer app control PC through WiFi without internet connection, but only WiFi?

ES File Explorer, File Expert HD, and many other file browsers have the ability to browse contents on a networked device without relying on internet access. Wi-Fi File Explorer, AirDroid, and other similar apps allow the use of web browsers to browse contents of an Android device from another Android device or computer, and does not use the internet for connections, as well.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Please tell do the non-internet connections between the apps on android and windows pc get estabilished with router/ pc wifi adapter card enabled or is there an additional process pre-requisite? pl clarify

• Dalsan M

Wi-Fi File Explorer opens your Android device (through port 8000) to the network and shows you the device's IP address that can be entered in a web browser. From the web browser, you get a basic display of the files and folders that you can browse, delete, or download to your networked computer or device. You also have the ability to upload files to the device.

A few other apps, like KiesAir, connects similarly. ES File Explorer and other file explorers require that the computer has shared content that can be accessed by your Android device, and you browse the shared contents of your computer. You can download or upload files using this method, but you can only view it from your Android device.

There are other apps and methods to access your Android device from your computer, though I haven't used them, except Wi-Fi File Explorer.

• Drsunil V

I understand

Since smartphones and tablets have limited space and home computers and laptops have a much higher amount of storage, it is great being able to use the hinge computers for file and media serving. Apps like ES File Explorer, File Expert HD, AirDroid, Wi-Fi File Explorer, etc. allows for transferring files to and from networked devices. UPnPlay and other UPnP and DLNA apps allow viewing of media files like music, pictures, and videos so one does not have to to be tied down to one room of the home. Using the right app, one can even print things directly from their phone or tablet wirelessly.

Many games used to, and some still do, allow for LAN (including Wi-Fi) connections to play with multiple users, even users on smartphones and tablets. There were many "LAN" parties where each player brought their own computers in order to pay against each other, and some people still have these parties to pay with a group of friends, though the internet allows for more people to play against others across the world instead of one building.

There are many basic users of smartphones, tablets, computers, and other devices (gaming systems, satellite/cable receivers that are connected to the home network, etc.) that do not realize the potential of the home network. Many of the aforementioned uses wind up not being used and the convenience of these features can make life much easier, such as transferring files and pictures to and from their phone to the computer to upload to social media sites and whatnot, or edit them and print them. What I like most is being able to watch videos and movies on a big screen in surround sound that are being streamed from my computer instead of relying on multiple DVDs and other physical media. The whole library of videos is available to view at any time with easy ability to go through the list on the tv screen. Also, if the tvs are all taken, I can view the library on any of my other devices or laptops so that I can watch what I want woke everyone else can watch what they like.

• Drsunil V

I have read your reply with care

Usually, TeamViewer registers the sessions onto a server on the internet. I'm not sure this is the case with the Android version, but suspect that it is, in which case you would not be able to use it. However, you can use WiFi for other remote access programs that do not require central registration, for printing, for connecting to a local file server, streaming videos etc.

• Sunil

Thanks. Please tell how to connect a Android device to a laptop windows pc through wifi without internet? basic connection without specific app like teamviewer , ( like how direct bluetooth without app )

• Oron J

I'm afraid I don't know. This is a situation I just haven't encountered.

Wi-Fi simply is a wireless network technology. It allows you to create a network between multiple devices wireless, without cables, to send and receive digital data.

There are various applications which do not involve Internet access. For example with the right equipment you can connect buildings hundred meters away from each other using Wi-Fi technology (e.g. via a laser bridge).

Another example would be Apples AirPlay or Intels Wireless Display (WiDi) respectively the Wi-Fi Alliance Miracast standard to transfer media data wireless to another device or display.

As Bruce said Teamviewer certainly works without Internet Access. The only premise is that both, the host and the client can communicate with each other via network. So, if for example both devices are on the same WiFi network you can use TeamViewer, you just have to input the local IP address instead of the Teamviewer ID.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. I read your reply with care. Please tell how to locate local ip for win 7 and for android , for both to access files and remote control?

Prior to the network of networks being established, many companies were using their own wired networks to connect their machines together to share files and resources. The same can be done with WiFi today, just without the cabling. Some apps will only work by contacting a central control point on the Internet before allowing certain connections even on a LAN, but they are rare.

Regarding your TeamViewer example, it can be used on any network without Internet access. Many companies use it (or similar tools) for internal support purposes only and don't use it over the Internet at all.

I use WiFi on my network when troubleshooting client devices including smartphones, laptops, tablets and more. I keep repositories of common software installers, updates, patches, hotfixes, etc. on my servers so I don't need to keep downloading them for each client device. Instead, I just connect their WiFi-enabled device to my network and directly apply whatever fixes are required.

• Drsunil V

thanks. i understand. please tell , is configuring non-internet wifi on teamviewer , sophisticated? like ip nos. and such?

• Bruce E

If you are using the commercial version, it is simple since it includes the TeamViewer Management Console which maintains a list of all of the TeamViewer-enabled devices on the network as well as logging the sessions between the devices.

If you are using it on a home network, having Internet access makes using the free version easier since you can tie all of the devices you want to manage to an online user account which is what I do in order to support the devices my parents and siblings own. I have not needed to try using it without Internet access, but you should be able to connect to any TeamViewer device by using it's IP address on your network.

• Sunil

Thanks. Please tell how to connect a Android device to a laptop windows pc through wifi without internet? basic connection without specific app like teamviewer ,