What are the benefits of an iPad over a netbook or an iPhone?

Cassandra G November 20, 2010

I’m not being facetious, but what exactly is the point of the iPad? Why not get a netbook or an iPhone?

My partner wants an iPad and *I* want justification for spending this amount of money!

Many thanks.

1. CrazyGal

can nort understand how people say that the ipad is pointless but buy it anyway? ipad is the new smart technology which is easy transportable and easy to you use although the touch screen could need getting used to.

2. ebuka

if must use ipad and enjoy using it, you must have a laptop. if not don't, you can't enjoy using it.

3. fari angel

ipad iz just like a laptop only some systems of  both ipad and laptop differs ..........welll the main diffrence is that ipad is having many parts of it in its screeen or we can say in main walll of it..............but the laptop is not having the same its whole parts are not seperate but ...............they are not in the walllll screeen of it ..................in short i willl say that ipad is equal to a laptop ...........................

thnxxxxxx

4. Jan

It has one (two) big features. It has a large screen for reading papers, documents etc. Bigger than iPod touch, ipone etc.
    And it is always switched on and has a good batteri time.

5. William Brand

There really aren't any. Buy a netbook.

6. hingehead

This might interest you: 10 reasons I'm dumping my iPad for a Galaxy Tab
    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=1955&tag=nl.e101

7. Ceatif Diva

It appears from the comments to your question those who do not have an iPad have little good to say about then. But those who own one and have taken the time to learn what they can do, wouldn't be without them. I had a PC laptop and it never met my expectations, my iPad has exceeded them.

• William Brand

Gadgets are like religion and politics. Who knew.

8. nm

As far as iPad vs. Netbook is concerned - I own both. I bought my netbook about a year ago and have used it maybe two or three times at most - and got quite frustrated while using it. I got the iPad about a month ago and I've used it on a daily basis. Some people might say that they need a physical keyboard but honestly most netbook's keyboards are a lot more difficult to use than the iPad's onscreen keyboard. Other than that, it's such a sleek device and there's no end to how you can use it because of the variety of apps that are available.

Put the iPad together with the camera connection kit and you'll never have to travel with a laptop again imho.

Compared to the iPhone is another story - it really depends on what your needs are. With the iPad itself there's the choice of 3G or WiFi.

And then in comparison it to the iPhone - do you want a camera? Do you want to use it to listen to music in your car? If that's the case - go for the iPhone instead. But if you want to watch movies, play games, send emails, read ebooks and even blog (to a certain extent) - go for the iPad. You don't have to convert .avi files if you use a free app like VLC, you can watch flash videos using the paid app Skyfire, and there is multitasking with the new OS that was just released.

I'm a huge fan of the iPad - despite the fact that my first impression of it was that it was just an oversized iPod Touch. Your partner is going for the good stuff!

9. WireGeisha

The battery lasts forever, it is as portable and convenient as a paper notebook, on-screen keyboard is much better for typing than iPhone, which I returned after three days. So many cheap or free apps available. Downside: no Flash, no multi-tasking, screen is extremely vulnerable without a case and screen protector. LOVE the reader! I was extremely skeptical and made fun of my fanboy friends until I got one myself at work. Worth it!

10. Christpatton

ipad is great for older users who prefer a larger screen than the iphone.
    the ipad is a charming travel companion, remembering wifi passwords, a city is your oyster.
    it is light, can be used like a phone, is great for maps having gps.
    its apps can further your interests in such a dynamic way.
    i have a desktop, a laptop, and the ipad, and although i am typing this on my desktop, the one i relish the most is the ipad, 600 dollars of pleasure.

11. TucsonMatt

My girlfriend was excited when she heard about the iPad as she felt she was the perfect target for it. She likes to have her laptop at the couch while watching TV for research, email, chatting, etc. When it came out, I bought her the 3G/WiFi model. After three weeks, we returned it. It was too big to comfortably use by holding, especially when typing. With the virtual keyboard on the same plane as the screen, typing was awkward for her. The lack of multi-tasking became huge for her as well, although I hear that will change with the next iOS update.

The bottom line was she found herself going back to her laptop more and more rather than the iPad, so we couldn't justify the expense and took it back.

12. Cassandra

The iPad has apps!! And the iPhone is too small to do things like watch movies. It's the best of both worlds! I love mine!

~Cassandra

13. Nightvein

Well I'd imagine that you would be able to take notes with it with some sort of app and a stylus. The ipad doesn't use flash, so you probably don't have to download it. At the same time, the screen has quite a bit of vulnerability, but you do not need to lift any lid. In terms of advantages over iphone, well its...bigger.

Well as for the iPhone most common reasons are the prize, the screen size and simply that it's a mobile phone.

The iPhone 4 will cost you more money than the iPad WiFi.
    iPhone 4 32GB with contract ~299$ + smallest package ~15$ * 24 Months = ~659$
    iPhone 4 32GB without contract ~700$
    iPad WiFi 32GB ~600$

The screen size of the iPad makes a lot of things more comfortable ~ movies, eBooks/pdfs and webpages (there are lot of webpages not optimized for mobile devices)... for example a friend of mine is using it for reading newspapers and as a cookbook in the kitchen, two things where the iPhones' screen size will hit it's limits regarding usability.

As for netbooks there is probably lot of room for discussion.
    My personal points would be:
    ~ Touchscreen
    easier and more comfortable to use than keyboard and trackpad
    imagine holding your netbook with one hand, and type with the other *no-fun*

~ Screen size
    while all Apps are made for iPhone/iPad screens most Software is not for Netbooks
    if you ever run Outlook or Excel on a Netbook you will know what I mean

~ ease of use
    A Netbook basically is a mobile PC with "low end hardware". You don't have to be a rocket scientist but sooner or later you will run into the same Windows/Linux challenges and problems.
    Solving those without losing data and settings is the same pain as on a PC. For an iPad it's like 2 clicks ~ restore to factory defaults, restore backup which is automatically created by iTunes.

~ Security, Malware and compatibility
    On an iPad you don't really have to worry about that (except for it being stolen, which is the same for all and any devices). Apple does all the testing and stuff before Apps get into the App Store.

I did buy a netbook about a year ago and all I have done so far is testing out a few Linux distros... it's small and bulky, the power adapter is huge and when leaving the optical drive at home I could also leave the whole thing because my iPhone (or for that matter an iPad) can do the very same things.

One point on the price of the iPhone vs the iPad, you do need to consider the fact that if you buy an iPad instead of an iPhone, you still will probably have a cellphone, even if it's a basic one and pay some sort of monthly phone charges at a minimum.

15. Saikat Basu

Well, firstly the iPad is the beauty to the Netbook's beast. Secondly, the iPad (and iPhone) is more of a multimedia device that's great for video, web browsing, or social networking with email. The Netbook on the other hand is more functional. It's just like a laptop only smaller. You can video char, type in long documents and work with lighter apps that don't strain the CPU too much (serious graphic software would be a no-no). From what I have hear, it's more difficult to type on iPad's on-screen touch keyboard than it is on a netbook.

You cannot really compare these three on a one-to-one basis.Your choice will boil down to what you ultimately plan to do on any of these devices.

Great question, I wonder, too. :)

Well, it's a gadget, a fun tool, and cool to have.
    It's also stylish and minimalistic.
    It has a touchscreen and no keyboard.
    It's bigger than the iPhone.

On the other hand it's very expensive and there are similar gadgets available that can do more for a better price. However, you better discuss this with your partner first before you get them something they didn't ask for.

Alternatives:
    http://blog.laptopmag.com/top-10-ipad-alternatives#axzz15s64hkzE
    http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/04/02/seven-more-ipad-alternatives/
    http://www.networkworld.com/slideshows/2010/080210-ipad-alternatives.html
    http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/top-10-best-tablet-pc-ipad-alternatives-690596
    http://gizmodo.com/5495946/ipad-alternatives-the-main-contenders/gallery/