Why won’t the battery charge on my Acer Aspire 4741G ?

Jessica Chai October 8, 2012

Having problem of charging the battery. The message shows “Plugging In But Not Charging”. I have done all the necessary such as Uninstall Software Driver under the Battery Device, Plugging and Unplugging the AC Adapter and Uninstalling and Installing the Battery. But the result remains the same. Please help.

1. tiffany kennedy

Either your battery is broken or your laptop ac adapter. I suggest you should replace the adapter to confirm the real issue. Or go to one prefessional repaire for help.

2. Erlis Dhima

I think you should check what ha14 says...
    If that doesn't work, than probably the battery is dead!
    I don't think is has to be with the AC adapter, since if you have some differences in voltage, probably it will give you a flashing in the turn on button, 'cause of the low or high voltage, and it will not recharge at all.. If your laptop doesn't have a protection from the differences of the voltage, than any change in voltage would have damaged your motherboard by now!
    So I think it would be a driver problem (as explained by ha14), or your battery is dead, or your AC adapter should be replaced!
    Hope it helped!

check Microsoft Composite Battery Manager
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff536300.aspx

1) go to device manager and find Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
    2) right click and choose uninstall (do not delete)
    3) Reboot and let windows to reinstall a new one (check in device manager)

or first remove the battery, uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, boot on AC Power, let windows to re-install the new driver, then insert battery.

see if this will work for you

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
    http://microsoft-acpi-compliant-control-method-battery.soft32.com/

Fix power consumption problems and extend the laptop battery life
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_battery_power_settings/

4. Durgesh Kumar

what was the last battery Backup you got , if your Backup >30 Minute then your battery is dead need to replace battery and if your backup was good then first update BIOS Firmware lattes , this you will get from Acer website and if after firmware update also problem not resolved then problem of MBD .

5. sumit kumar

You need to replace batteries.

6. ahmed Fouad khalil

battary is died as seen form your message, you need to change

I've seen this exact situation before in laptops where the AC adapter/power brick has been either accidentally replaced with a similar looking one (look at your roommates) or an inadequate universal laptop AC adapter/brick has been substituted in place of the original adapter.

That's the first place I would look, at least.

It sounds like you are well informed on this, though, and have already consulted Google regarding the uninstallation/reinstallation of power management software.

The chances are, though, that your battery is probably dying or dead, depending on the age. Modern lithium ion batteries have a nasty tendency to go bad after about 2-years or so. Some last much longer, particularly if cared for properly. Thankfully, replacement batteries sold on eBay (often with very limited warranties) are very low priced, so buyer beware. But in all honesty, I've been recommending these batteries to all kinds of folks over the years (and been using them myself too) and have never had a problem.