Do batteries get damaged by the laptop being connected to the mains even when the battery is full?

Drsunil V May 10, 2014

Does the battery’s hardware resource get overburdened if a laptop is kept powered in spite of battery fully charged?

1. Oldgit9

In the past, I've had 2 laptop where I left the battery connected, whilst the power cord is connected & after a year or so, with the main disconnected & battery fully charged, it wouldn't boot past the boot screen.

My last two laptops, I've charged the battery to 100% then removed it. Used the laptop with it connected to the mains as normal. When I want to go mobile, connect the battery & boot up as normal & I still have 5+ hours of life left. Every 4-6 months, I charge up the battery & the battery doesn't drop below 60-70% when disconnected.

Personally, 95% of the time, my laptop is connected to the mains. And doing in what I do above, saves my battery life & reduced the damaged caused by being constantly connected to the mains.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. That is an important point to learn , especially to avoid battery misuse.

Sorry, condition, not chicken.

A bloated battery is when the battery casing has a visible bulge or bubbling out. This is caused by gases being released, but since the battery casing encloses the battery cells, the casing bulges. The gas that is released is flammable, which is what can cause fires and possible explosions.

When I mentioned that it is safe in most cases to keep the charger plugged in with a fully charged battery is because most times the battery would not be damaged. There are times that a battery may be damaged even though there isn't any visible signs, and it may be difficult to figure out the true chicken of the battery. Using software like BatteryBar Pro may help in keeping an eye on sudden changes in voltage, mAh, and/or temperature of the battery since these can be signs of a battery becoming or is damaged.

As Bruce mentioned in response to my post here, there are built-in protections in both the battery and the charger/laptop to prevent damages or battery life deterioration. It is, in most cases, safe to keep the charger plugged in with the battery fully charged. However, the battery calibration may become mismatched over time, which results in incorrect representation of his much battery life is left on the battery. To recalibrate the battery, just charge the battery to full, unplug the charger, run theof of the battery until mostly discharged, turn off and keep the device off while charging the battery until full again. I mention to discharge the battery until mostly discharged as some devices, especially Samsung Galaxy devices, wind up having issues with a fully discharged battery (as in the device will not turn on).

Lithium Ion/Polymer batteries are very different from Ni-Cad and NiMH batteries in that there isn't the "memory" issues from improperly discharged/recharge cycles. But, and this is important, it is best not to allow the lithium ion/Polymer battery fully discharge or store the battery with less than 40% charge left. If the battery drops below the safety voltage, it will no longer work as it can be dangerous to recharge the battery in such a state. Another thing to note is that you do not want the battery to get hot or remain hot for extended periods of time as this cause the battery to rupture or otherwise become damaged.

If the battery ever becomes bloated, remove and properly dispose of the battery immediately. Explosions or fire may result in bloated/damaged batteries that are either placed on the charger or not disposed of properly.

• Drsunil V

Thanks for your sincere and detailed reply. I read it carefully. Please tell how to know or how can a user make out that battery is bloated

• Susendeep D

Sunil,

I think Dalsan is referring to battery swelling which must not be used and must be properly disposed to prevent any bad incidents.

• Dalsan M

Yes, Susendeep, I meant swelling of the battery. Thanks.

They don't get damaged since the chargers have a mechanism which cuts out when the batteries are full. However, you can extend the life of most modern batteries (Li/ion or Li/polymer) by not charging them beyond 80%, so if that is your aim, it might be better to disconnect when the battery reaches that level, and charge again only when it reaches 20% or so.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. This sound energy-conserving tip. It is useful to avoid wastage.

• Drsunil V

Please tell , that another respondent mentions on this url that : ' It is, in most cases, safe to keep the charger plugged in with the battery fully charged." Does this contradict what you mention? If yes , how would you support your statement? Please tell webllink