What bank/credit card companies in the US offer the best online/offline transaction protection?

Joseph V January 25, 2014

Hi all,

I’m looking to transfer to a bank/credit card company for my online bill paying, and good offline transaction protection as well.

My understanding is that 2-step authentication (where you request a second password code right before the transaction, that can only be used once) is one of the strongest protection mechanisms. I’m not sure if there are other techniques that ensure equal or greater online transaction protection.

Please recommend a bank/checking/credit card company I can join (available in the U.S.) that offers the best online protection (and low fees!).

Which do you use and why ?

1. maria

Most of credit card companies are used highly secured encryption technology across the web among buyer,seller and merchant. After verifying input at each levels then process is allowed to execute.

2. Wayne
  3. Michael Tarlton

One two-step authentication process is known as "chip plus PIN," also known as "EMV (Eurocard, MasterCard, Visa) standard." Very few credit cards are protected by this technology in the US, as they are in Europe. This technology would drastically reduce credit card fraud, but card issuers and merchants are balking due to the increased cost of installing the appropriate point-of-sale devices that would support this technology. Time Magazine did a good article on the subject: http://ti.me/1ggIH8T. Beware of cards made in the US that are called chip & PIN cards, because most of them are really hybrids and still have the magnetic strip which makes your card more vulnerable to fraud. Check with your credit card issuer to see if they offer this technology, or find someone who does via your favorite search engine.

4. Steve

You are unfortunately looking for a Unicorn ranch. Banks don't care about your security. They barely care about their own. Go to ANY bank you like in the U.S. and read ALL of the fine print on a debit or credit card agreement. THEY aren't liable for much of anything.

Probably the safest thing for you to do is visit your creditors and pay them in person. For creditors who are distant, a re-loadable debit card might be your best bet, if you change them often.

5. solomonone

PayPal card