Why do bad sectors on my hard drive cause software not to work after rebooting?

salman April 10, 2011

My hard drive has got bad sectors in it. When I install software they work, but after restarting computer they stop working! So please tell me some solutions for that.

1. Steve Lundy

After installing software, it may work but when you shut the software down, it may write something to a file, or registry which may in turn try to write to the bad sector. Imagine your hard drive as a blackboard, and on that blackboard there's a spot of tape. When you're writing everything seems fine, except when you hit that piece of tape, nothing will write in that spot. Or if it does (which can happen for bad sectors that haven't been 'found' by windows yet) then everything is garbled or messed up. Do as the others have posted and either scan the drive to 'mark' the bad sectors or backup and replace the drive. You'll start seeing more and more errors as well as full system errors (BSOD's) more and more as the drive fills up and tries to write to those bad sectors.

Commonly, a full format process should be able to "mask" the bad sectors or earmark the bad sectors in file allocation table. One could continue to use the disk while the operating system will take notice of the location of bad sectors and avoid them altogether.

Another common CHKDSK utility provided by Windows Operating System may help to detect and mark for bad sectors. During a surface scan, it attempts to write data to that sector and then read back what it wrote. If the two do not match, the sector is marked as bad as it does not maintain data integrity. The operating system will note the particular sector and avoid writing new data onto that area of disk. After which, the bad sector will be remapped to a special sector on the drive which is reserved for this purpose.

SpinRite
    http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

test hard drive
    "HD Tune
    http://www.hdtune.com/
    when you use a program what it does is it will read the disk and when it can't read a certain spot it marks it as a bad sector. After that the hard drive will move the data from the bad sector to a spare area of the hard drive. The spare area will store the data from a bad sector and will be usable like the old one. However if you get too many bad sectors you will run out of spares. When that happens your drive will crash

Salman,

how do you know your hard drive has bad sectors? Did you scan it?

If you are sure that your hard drive has bad sectors, regardless whether or not this is causing your software issues, you should back up your data immediately and also consider exchanging your hard drive! Bad sectors can be a sign of a failing hard drive, especially if the hard drive is more than 3 years old.

After you have backed up your data, you can try to fix the hard drive and use it until it fails completely. However, I would not store any important data on it. Check out the following articles:
    Fixing Bad Sectors On Hard Disk
    How do I fix a bad sector on my hard drive?

I am not sure why bad sectors would cause software to stop working after a reboot, this may have different causes. It sounds like a serious issue with your operating system. But maybe you just have software installed that returns your operating system to a previous state on every reboot.

Please provide more details! I'm guessing you are running Windows. Which version of Windows are you running? Are there any other symptoms that you didn't share?