Is it bad to run torrents on external hard drives?

Osama Javaid July 22, 2011

My friend told me that it’s dangerous to run torrents on external HDDs, and I also get some “I/O device error” on resuming torrents on my external HDD sometimes. Is there something I need to worry about?

When Input/Output Error occurs that simply means there is a problem with the buffering of the data with the HDD. But it is not a major issue. Often when downloading a torrent file, the system's HDD accessed first and then the external HDD. Due to this reason when you resume the torrent file, the system's HDD is checked or used first than the external HDD which may gradually take time to be available for the system use and thus gives the I/O Error.

To avoid such error I would prefer you to download the torrent file to the system's HDD first and move the downloaded file to the external HDD. This could increase the accessibility and the availability of the downloaded file to the torrent application. For future use, if you get such error please disconnect the external HDD properly and reconnect it. External HDD will restart its services and allow the access to data.

2. Sonny Bass

I have been using an external hard drive as the download location for torrents from transmission running in puppy via VirtualBox on Windows 7 for quiet a while with no problems. When Puppy is running it has control of the external. When Puppy is shut down control goes back to Windows. I can then scan them and move them to my media drive. I keep the actual torrent files in the download folder of Puppy