Why does my backup program say my Mozilla files are being used by another program?

aln May 19, 2011

I use Roxio 7.0.0 to back up my 2 PCs. Everything works well on my PC with Windows XP Pro edition, but something strange is going on with the PC with Windows XP Home edition:

After backup, the Roxio Log shows quite a few files as skipped because “They are used by another application.” All of these files are part of Firefox (3.6.11) or Thunderbird (3.1.10).

I cannot imagine them being used by another program, and even if they were, why would Roxio skip them anyways? I have no other mail tool or browser (except IE that is seldom used) on this PC. Any idea what is going on?

possible you left a program opened such as OUtlook if you are also backing it then close it first.

Go to your System Services (Start > Run > services.msc) and make sure that VSS is enabled and running...
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/volume_shadow_copy.htm

permissions on HK_CLASSES_ROOT are set incorrect may be

Aln,

this sounds like Thunderbird and Firefox are not properly closed before the backup starts. Try to close them via the task manager and then run the backup. See whether that fixes the problem.

• Alnuwer

Thanks for the idea Tina, but they dont show as running in the task manager. I actually rebooted the PC and then ran the
      backup and same results. There is another notation on the log that may
      provide a clue (I'm clueless), "Unable to create a snapshot (shadow)
      copy of files that may be in use, reverting to no snapshot backup.
      (8007273D) : The attempted operation is not supported for the type of
      object referenced." How can files be in use when I just booted and ran this backup?