How can I backup my placemarks in Google Earth?
Question by dejan /

I know how to save a spot (place) on Google Maps, but how can I save these spots (placemarks) in my HD memory? Because two times I’ve change HD and 2 times when I open Google Maps, I have to put placemarks all over again, and they are many. So in which folder placemarks (latitude, longitude, and all text’s) are saved?

Thanks,
Dejan Dameski

• Dameski Dejan

THANK YOU TINA

Dejan,

first of all you shouldn’t confuse Google Earth with Google Maps. Generally, Google Maps refers to the online service, while Google Earth is the program you download and which offers many more features, besides viewing maps and satellite images.

Your Google Maps data are stored online in your Google account. For that you have to be logged into Google, while editing your maps.

Your Google Earth data are stored on your computer. You should find them under C:Documents and Settings[username]Application DataGoogleGoogleEarth. The file you’re looking for is called myplaces.kml. This is the default path and file name, it could differ slightly on your machine.

Backup the .kml file and you should be fine.