How can I make a backup from a laptop that won’t power on?

Gordon April 8, 2010

I have an ancient laptop (6 years old). It’s a Dell Inspirion 1200. For years I haven’t been able to use my battery in it for any power. In fact, it just screw it up.

Now the problem is I cannot turn on my laptop. It’s not my power cord because it has full power. I believe it to be my power connector.

This happened once before and cost me 130 dollars. I was wondering if there were any temp fixes, so I can get my files off. I am probably just going to junk the laptop at this point.

Gordon,

were you able to make that backup from your laptop?

2. Taty

Check the connectors for your harddrive, but if they are standard, you should be able to use this cable :
    http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=906&sku=17705
    to connect it to a desktop to transfer the files.
    Less than $10!!

Gordon,

if you're just concerned about your data and want to trash the notebook anyways, I would recommend to take the hard drive and make a direct backup from it, without worrying about a temporary fix for your power connector.

You can open your laptop, take out the hard drive, find whether it's IDE or SATA and then either connect it to a desktop computer directly or buy a USB case for a 2.5" IDE or SATA hard drive, assemble the case and hard drive, and then connect that to another computer to read and backup the data.

Please refer to this question for details on how to install a second hard drive on a desktop computer. These instructions are also helpful for dismounting the drive from your laptop. If you decide to buy a USB case, be sure to follow the instructions that come with the item.