How To Backup iTunes Music to External Drive ?

Andy February 4, 2010

I had a small question regarding iTunes and backing up iTunes. Is it possible for you to email me a simple solution to backing up my iTunes music collection/playlist/ratings to an external portable drive (so that it is accessible to a Windows computer) without using Time machine?

Also, I want to sync my regular \Music\iTunes folder with my External drive backup, so that whenever I buy music, it automatically backs up my music without me having to do it manually. Also, I want to play my music from my laptop and not from my HDD. So I don’t want to ‘move’ my collection by just ‘copy’ it. So I am guessing consolidating my itunes collection is not an option.

1. ænon1mus

What you need is a backup application that can synchronize with a non HFS+ disk. Try Carbon Copy Cloner. I'm not sure if it will detect changes within a folder but you can schedule backups.

If you are willing to spend a bit of money (and depending on the size of your music library), you could actually make Dropbox sync your iTunes folder between the 2 computers, eliminating the need for an external hard disk.