How can I backup my Gmail account to my hard drive?
Question by Amina Valieva /

I have to delete all of my emails(inbox, sent, trash etc) from my Gmail account on regular basis, for security purposes, but I don’t want to accidently lose some of my important emails or attachements. Is it possible to back up the entire email account to a hard drive? If so, can anyone recommend a reliable software for this purpose? Thanks.

• Rahul Kumar

sir, tell me how to recovered my gmail emails back

• Davide

Mac users can use BackUp Gmail: the easiest way to backup locally your Gmail account and protect your data.

* can access your data whenever and wherever you want
    * Install it and forget about it, is a lightweight Status Bar App that works in background
    * can personalize how the backup is performed and set-up your destination folders as you wish
    * decide if you want an hourly or daily backup of your account, and set the times yourself

• Sabari Prasad

I used MS Outlook to configure Gmail. I suppose the emails can be archived as PST.

• Ronak

You can also check out my very own simple tool for organize your inbox known as Beyond Inbox. Using Beyond Inbox you can not only Backup mails but also transfer emails from one account to another account and Restore the back up emails.
    It is also provide Incremental backup plan,which provide facilitates the users to download newly arrived mails after last back up.
    You can run this application on Windows, Linux as well as on Mac Os.

• Amina Valieva

Thanks, MailStore looks like a program I need and it is very straightforward

• Oron

I would use Thunderbird in IMAP mode. The folders (tags in GMail) are saved as text files (mbox format) so would be easy to open or import into another program at a future date. That said, the artcile Strydr points to looks easier to follow.

• Chris Hoffman

This method works:

That said, if you’re deleting messages in Gmail, Thunderbird will notice the deletions and also delete the messages on your hard drive. Try downloading messages with POP3 instead of IMAP.

• aussiea

using pop mail will delete it from the server at the same time as you retrieve it……..

• Dan

Not if you select, “Keep gmail’s copy int he inbox.” I believe that should work. Actually, using iMAP is the method that may be more dangerous because whatever you do in Thunderbird (or your client) will be reflected in Gmail. There are reasons to use either method.

• Strydr

I use a great program that does what you want, it’s called Mailstore and I use it to archive all my email from my Google account and also to back up my email from my Thunderbird email client. It’s extremely easy to set up and use and I’ve been using it for years.
    Here’s the link to their site for downloading:
    Hope this helps you.