How can I backup data from a broken USB flash drive?

Noel June 22, 2010

My flashdisk was damaged around 1 year ago because there was damage to the circuit. I could see in some websites that I can fix it myself, but unfortunately I do not know how.

When I try to connect it to the PC there is no confirmation of anything, but somehow it’s still able to light up the indicator lights. This issue still bothers me because a lot of important data are stored on it. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

I don't think there is an easy way to recover your files. I had a corrupt flash drive and it 'lost' my files and corrupted them.

The best thing to do is simply backup your files regulary in case something like this happens again. Or check your computer incase it saved a backup of it in your tempory folder.

Sorry Jack, that rude comment slipped through. Just deleted it.

• Jack Cola

WOW! For a question that was asked 9 months ago, let me just say Craig, at least my input was on topic unlike yours.

I wouldn't imaging the things that you block Tina after reading that.

Jack, we hardly ever get such rude comments on Answers. This was probably the worst so far!

• Jack Cola

Well that's nice to hear... lol

2. Taty

Hi Noel
    The good news is that yes, you can probably fix it if it is a damaged circuit, the bad news is that you'd still need specialized soldering to do so and there are no warranties that it would work. It is actually easier to recover it with software damage than hardware damage.