How can I avoid scams when buying and selling via Paypal?

Mohmmad Ayaz Shaikh March 11, 2012

I had planned to create a Paypal account and attach my bank account . I am having second thoughts about this because I’ve read about a lot of Paypal scams. I want some tips on how to be a safe buyer and seller?

thanks for the input

2. Gav Shaw

Using Pay Pal to buy and sell goods in itself is pretty much as safe as what you would expect from using a Credit Card online. The way to look at it is that if you did happen to get scammed by someone who you sent payment for goods to via Pay Pal, then  you'll pretty much find that 90% of the time, you will get what you paid for.
    If your goods do not turn up, then you would need to contact the seller first to make sure that there is no sort of hold up on the delivery of the goods which may be out of their hands. If after a day or 2 and you've not had no response to asking where you goods are, or they have not turned up, contact pay pal and give them the transaction number, and explain that you have not received goods that you purchased, along with any useful facts such as, you may of contacted the seller to try and see what the hold up was, but since you did not get a reply, then this will help speed up the refund process as you would have done half of their work for them.
    Usually they try to contact the seller to resolve the issue in an unbiased fashion, which will allow both buyer and seller the chance to put their case forward.
    they will then make the decision based on the amount of credible evidence received.  However, 9 times out of 10, the buyer will always get their money back if they have legitimately been scammed as your allowed to send back almost anything that you buy online within a certain time frame and receive a full refund without having to give any reason whatsoever. You could turn round and say that you did not like the color of the packaging it came in, which although it's not product fault, it's within you right to give that reason if you wanted to.

What I would suggest is that you worry more about steering clear of companies or individuals that do not accept pay pal as a payment, and or who ask for payment to be made via Western Union, as in all of the 15+ years of surfing the net, and 7 years of being a regular Pay Pal user, the amount of scams being pulled using Western Union bank info by far outweighs any scams that have left Pay Pal users out of pocket.

Hello, I cannot really say anything from the seller perspective, only as a buyer.  I am pretty happy with their services and as long as you are smart with its use its purchase protection plan

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/buyer_protection

and its buyer protection plan should fill your needs fine:

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/seller_protection

There was an article similar to your question a while back, here is the link:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-keep-your-paypal-account-safe-from-hackers/