Can I use Avira Free Antivirus 2012 and MBAM 2012 at the same time?

Nech Balderrama August 14, 2012

I’ve just installed Avira Free Antivirus 2012 and the free version of Malware Bytes Anti-Malware 2012. I was wondering if I could actually use both at the same time. Will they affect each other in any way? Should I make changes with their configuration settings? If so, how? Thanks! :D

1. Lelenkipgen

Can i download apps. For free version support nokia C1-01 mobile?

2. John

They are not both anti virus applications. MBAM is ant malware. They will both be ok

3. Elijah Swartz

You can have both of them on your computer at the same time. By default, Avira should be passively scanning your system. For each new thing that you do, it takes a look at it to see that everything is safe. You can schedule to do a scan whatever you want. Doing a full system scan (or just specific areas) is different than the regular protection because it's going through everything that you selected. Likewise, when you use the free Malwarebytes, it scans your computer (or just specific areas) for any malware. You could technically speaking having them both running at the same time, but I would recommend you do only one at a time. You could run both at the same time because they work differently. Avira by default will probably quarantine something it seems as a threat. Malwarebytes will just list what it finds wrong and wait for you do perform an action after the test. There are two reasons not to have them scan at the same time. One is that it will be more resource demanding while the programs are running. The second reason is that Avira will quarantine (move the bad files) that Malwarebytes finds. Malwarebytes can't do anything if the files are moved. It's a wasted scan. I would first recommend doing a scan with your main antivirus program (Avira) and then use your backup program Malwarebytes. Make sure everything has updated definitions or else the programs won't know what to search for during the scan.

4. Lag

Its useless to run malwarebytes in background because you are only using free version which is no real time protection.

5. driscole

Yes, you can run both simultatenously. No need to change settings.
    You can also try running spybot, while running both malwarebytes and avira.
    Downside is that it may lag ur pc a bit, but worth it as the software scans for specific viruses.

I use avast free and MBAM paid on Windows 7 and never had a conflict.

7. Doc

Sure. Just don't set up MBAM as a real-time scanner (paid version).

8. Justin Fortin

You can, but running multiple AV suites only ever causes issues.

Anti-virus and anti-malware programs dont usuall conflict.
    As its the free version of Malwarebytes you wont have a problem.

10. ferdinan Sitohang

as long as both of program are not conflicted, then sure you can use both of it. If you have any other concern such as computer speed, etc, then you need to reconsider using one of them.

11. Dalsan

Avira is a great program, but presents false positives with its real time scans, but MBAM free version only runs when you run it. If you want a free program that helps fight malware and spyware, use SuperAntiSpyware as it remains in the background to help out. Running two different antivirus programs are never recommended, but SuperAntiSpyware us not antivirus, and MBAM is not really an antivirus, either. If you had the pro version, I would be careful with having real time scans running on both, but the pro version of MBAM is not really worth the money, especially when you are using Avira.

• Dalsan

Malwarebytes AntiMalware is just a standalone scanner unless you purchase a Pro license, in which you would have to whitelist each security software though you should do regardless.

Taking the other answers into account that there is no real-time scanning for MBAM I would say the only possible problem is that they may detect each other as malware (false positive) because of the scanning routines (code).

As it was stated you should deactivate Avira or whitelist MBAM within Avira while performing a scan using Malwarebytes.

I'm not sure about the added benefit or security having two AV installed. In most cases the undetected malware pretty much overlaps within those free applications.
    You could achieve the same (maybe even higher) security using one real-time AV and run a bootable AV distribution once a month.

13. echantrea

Of Course you can.
    MBAM is anti-malware type which have no conflict with Anti-virus or Anti Spyware type.

The free version of MBAM does not have on-access (real-time) scanning capability so it will not interfere with any other AV products. When doing a scan with MBAM, you may want to disable the real-time scanning of your other product (Avira in your case).

15. Manide

I used Avira Free with MBAM free version. No problems at all.

16. Pk Apratwad

no man it will hang ur pc

17. GrrGrrr

MBAM free is not having real-time enabled. so in my opinion it will not affect anything as such.

18. Erlis Dhima

I would recommend you to not install them at the same time...
    It may cause problems, and sometimes your computer will get very slow...
    Better if you stay with one, and make it work at it's full potential...