Why has AVG replaced my default Google home page?

Gill Scott September 1, 2012

Yesterday I had an update request window open for AVG so I clicked it. After that I find my Google Chrome opening page tab with all my favorites on it has vanished and I have an AVG search window only. I want to get back to my previous opening page on Google Chrome. How do I do that?

1. Bryan

I meant the 3 horizontal bars in the upper right hand corner. Everything else will be the same.

2. Bryan

Click on the 3 horizontal bars in the upper left hand corner. Then put cursor on "tools" then click extensions. You will see "AVG Safeguard Toolbar" un-check the box that says "enable". Problem Solved!

3. Tore Berg

Why do you make such a change without the users' approval? I hate it.

4. Meeth Jain
  5. sheila Durant

I would like to have avg removed as my default and as my web page. I would like yahoo as my web page and goggle chrome as my default.

Any help that ou can give me would be greatly appreciatr. Thank You

6. brad

give back my old page this is a hassele give back the two hours you took and the bad new page without my favorites to .

7. Phoenix

Go to settings, the to extentions and you will see you avg thing there. Just click "enabled"

8. diane

in windows 7 google chrome go to bookmarks then bookmark manager then at the top is a small search box,type in avg. "avg" or "search" should pop up.right click on this and press the delete button & restart your browser.I always find that restarting your computer helps at times as well.good luck!!!!!

9. David

I will Like to Have my old stuff Back and My save Links and And My anime I Was watching

10. Dwayne Nicholson

because AVG hijacks your system during the install process if you're not careful, you have to choose custom install or it will install a bunch of crap ware

11. fatihamzah

Go to Setting and change the Homepage, or try to uninstalling that AVG plugin

12. Kenneth McWhorter

I don't know what happened to my old Google Homepage.

13. Kao Vang

Soft free software like to include "Free" security tools to their applications in the setup wizard. Always check to make sure they are not checked. It is unwise nowadays to keep clicking on "Next" to install apps.

14. Erlis Dhima

Best suggestion:
    Go to control panel> uninstall a program
    And search: "bar"
    See if there is any toolbar installed related to AVG!
    If this don't help to, would suggest clean uninstall AVG, and than reinstall it with caution! (There must be a button to untick when you install it, that tells you not to install the toolbar!)

15. Dionyshs El

Maybe when you update AVG you agreed to install also the AVG toolbar and/or search engine. You can change it though if you open Google Chrome, go to preferences or settings (don't remember how its called) and set homepage to whatever you want.

16. Usman Mubashir

Goto settings, you'll see a "On Startup" there you can select whatever you want.

17. Linda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrDj2cUgTnE

great video on how to do this

18. vin

Try to disable the AVG Secure Search extension. This works on me.

19. Nicholas Aronne
  20. Abed Shalashtien

Try removing the AVG extension and plugin then restart chrome and recostimize your homepage

21. GrrGrrr

did the update go for a system restore, if yes revert back to the earlier good working system state by restoring it to a back date.

22. venkatp16

Some of the tools while installing give you to check these kind of options... uninstall and re-install and check the installation windows properly

23. Sri Swaminathan Vanarasi

this is because when u had installed AVG u checked for the option of setting ur home to avg..
    u can remove this by settings->themes-> home button -> paste url of the website u wanted to be as ur home page

Click on the little wrench in the upper-right corner and select Settings from the menu. In the Themes section, check the box 'Show Home button'. This opens up another option 'New Tab page'. Click on Change and enter the URL you want to use as your Home page.

25. April Eum

try going to View>Show bookmark bar, and you can uninstall it from control panel>programs and search for avg toolbar..i don't think it's an extension in this case. however, i don't think you can get to the pages you were on before, you might be able to get your favorites though.