How do I get the autorun option back when I plug in a USB device?
Question by Robert Giles /

When I plug a device (like my camera) into a USB port I used to get a dialogue box asking me what i wanted to do. It doesn’t come up any more and I have gone to autoplay and tried everything but nothing seems to bring it back.

Have I done something else that stops it from working? How can I get it back?

• Alan McNamara

Go to Windows Help and type in Auto Play. I got this result:

Troubleshoot AutoPlay problems

Here are solutions to some common problems with AutoPlay.

The AutoPlay options only appeared the first time I plugged in a device or inserted a disc. How can I find them again, so I can choose a different action?
    To see the options one time, right-click the device or drive, and then click Open Autoplay. If the device isn’t plugged in, hold down Shift and plug in the device. You can also hold down Shift while inserting a disc to see the list of options.

To see the options every time you plug in a device or insert a disc, follow these steps:

Click to open AutoPlay.

In the list next to the device or type of disc, click Ask me every time.

You can click the line with …. Click to open AutoPlay. and get a list of devices and functions to turn AutoPlay on or off.

• Naoman Saeed

are you using xp. i had the same problem on xp with all my usb devices. this doesn’t happen on windows 7.

Hello, what is your operating system? For windows 7, you could try the following:

— connect your device
    — click on start(orb)
    — type autoplay on search box
    — click on enter
    — make sure that the “Use autoplay for all media and devices is check marked at top left of the screen
    — at bottom of the screen you will see the device listed
    — change the options for your device or you could also try clicking on the “reset all defaults” option.

If you are using XP, let us know.

• venkatp16

If you are using windows 7 – go to control panel – change the settings of autoplay as you wish.

• Tony Batty

I agree with Bruce, try his method it should work just fine, or you could try the other methods given by the other posters.

• jrasulev

Once I removed from USB device and only after formating USB steak autorun returned. Or you may go here

Ensure that Shell Hardware Detection service is running
    Type service.msc in Start Search to run Services console. Locate Shell Hardware Detection, and ensure that the “Service Status” is Running, and “Startup Type” is Automatic.

Autorun Manager

• Sebastian Hadinata

First what windows version are you using, is it XP or Windows 7?

For Windows 7, simply go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Auto Play. If you can’t find it just search for “Auto Play” in the search box.

Just re-enable “Use AutoPlay for all media and devies”. You can also set the option for each Devices, well under “Devices” section.

Just click the “Save” button when you are done.

• April Eum

it has been disabled on windows 7 however, there has been some tweaks as per users say