How can I automatically sort emails into separate folders?

Nilesh Ahuja May 10, 2012

Is there a way to automatically receive emails from various users and place them in respective folders that I’ve already made? For example, all the emails from my email ID should automatically go into a folder named Facebook that I’ve created, so I do not need to manually move them. This will help me better organize my account?

1. sumanth kulkarni

Hi, Please use the same folder to filter mail from whom you need. You might have to add these e-mail addresses one-by one.

2. Nilesh Ahuja

hey thanks Oron and Bruce Epper.
    i got it to do with yahoo and gmail using the link: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/set-email-filters-gmail-hotmail-yahoo/
    yet i have another query.what if i need to filter all emails from my family members into family folder.for this i need to set the filtering criteria as multiple email ids.but i m finding difficult to set multiple email ids as filtering criteria.do suggest me how to do it in yahoo and also in gmail.
    again thanks alot for responding and wish you a happy day ahead.

3. Oron

As Bruce says, you can do this in most email clients. In Outlook, they're called "rules", in Thunderbird they're called "message filters" and in GMail they're "filters". Other programs may use slightly different terminology, but in any event, follow the same basic steps:
    1. Define the message (e.g. "sender=joesmith@sth.com")
    2. Define the action you want to take (e.g. move to another folder)
    That's it!

Most email clients will allow you to create rules to automatically sort and arrange your incoming mail. How to do it depends on what email client you are using.