How can I automatically merge multiple copies of a folder and purge exact duplicates?

Kit August 10, 2011

So I have about 7 versions of MY DOCUMENTS saved as a back-up exercise. Huge space waster!

I would like to merge them all into one. But rather than comparing and selecting each file or folder, I would like the software to do it for me as a batch process AND place the Files/Folders in genratlly the same structure they were found in. Want to cull files that are exactly the same in name, size and actual content. If they aren’t EXACTLY the same, it should rename the file somehow, so I know it’s a close but not exact copy, once again in the ame folder structure.

Any suggestions? I’m using Windows.

Kit,

did you try any of the suggestions above and were you able to get rid of your duplicates? Please do let us know what worked for you. Thank you!

When I encounter these types of situations, I will generally run Duplicate File Finder (found on sourceforge.net) to remove all duplicate files from the folders in question first.  This program doesn't care about filenames, date/time stamps - just the actual file contents, but that really doesn't matter as you will need to select the files you want to delete from its results list (it doesn't automatically purge anything).  Once this is completed, you can then just move all of the other folders into whatever one you want to keep.  If you are using Win7 or Vista, name clashes will pop up a window asking you if you want to keep the newer or older file or rename the one you are moving.  If there is more than one clash, there will be a checkbox on the bottom you can select to have your choice apply to all instances.  The rename option will append (2)...(x) to the filename to resolve the conflict.

Hello, You could try copying the files of all folders into one folder.  Once there is a pop up telling you that the folder already exist, you could use the merge function that is given as an option.  Once that is done, you could try the following:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/merge-duplicate-files-folders-winmerge/