How can I automatically have my drivers updated in Windows XP?

ali August 24, 2011

I need to update my drivers. Please tell me any free software which can automatically update my drivers! I am using Windows XP SP2.

1. venkatesh

how can i install msi lan drivers in win xp

• Oron

If you currently have a working connection, here are a few options:
      A. Use Slimdrivers as suggested by others
      B. Most MSI motherboards come with a Utility which updates drivers automatically (if you don't have the utility, search for it in the downloads area of the MSI web site, you'll need to specify the computer or motherboard model)
      C. Go into Win XP's device manager (Start, Run... type devmgmt.msc and press the ). Find the branch called "Network adaptors" and open it. Find your network card and double click on it. Click on the /Driver\ tab and click [Driver Update...] button. Follow the prompts on the screen.
      D. If the card works fine at the moment you can leave it alone!

If you have a laptop, be careful with these driver update utilities since some of them ignore the difference between laptop and desktop drivers and will occasionally install the desktop version on a laptop.  I've had to repair several laptops because of this issue.

• Jeffery Fabish

There is no difference in the drivers. In fact, most of the time a specific piece of hardware is either built for the laptop environment or not.

3. Saikat Basu

We have posted a few articles on updating drivers. You can check them out here:

Update Your Hardware Drivers For Free With Device Doctor

3 Useful Software to Backup Your Hardware Drivers In Windows

There are tools like DriverMax too.

SlimDriver is a nice tool but be careful since you have to reboot on each drive update so if you are updating 10 drivers you will reboot 10 times.

Drivereasy
    http://www.drivereasy.com/

SlimDrivers is probably the best, the free version is fine. When you go to update, make sure you make a backup of every driver you update, it will ask you before downloading if you want to. Here is a video tutorial for using Slimdrivers.

Windows will update some of your drivers, such as the video and network adapter cards.