How can I automatically create a summary from a detailed Word or PDF document?

Yehia Ismail May 23, 2010

How can I create two levels of detail, summary level and full text level, from the same Word or PDF document?

I would like to create one file that is very detailed. Then create a short summary, maybe with a couple of clicks of the same Word or PDF document.

1. Nobody

Word 2010 removed Auto Summary function!

I second Nancy. Automated summary can't beat the manual summary created by human.

However, just FYI, MS Word can also create summary. The service is located under the "Tools - AutoSummarize" menu. Here's the official article about this feature from the big M itself:

3. nm

If you're on a Mac you can open the document in Text Edit, select the text you want to summarize, and then click on the TextEdit menu, select Services, and then select Summarize. But I'm not sure how accurate any automated service will be in summarizing the significant text.

There is an online application "GetSummary" that lets you summarize text, however it only works with text or web pages. if you want to summarize Word or PDF docs you would need to copy and paste text manually.