How can I automate the same task on multiple Mac OS X computers?

Jason Mauai October 17, 2012

I am the Mac Lab Technician for my University and I use Apple Remote Desktop quite often to maintain and update software, system preferences, ect. on 100+ client computers. However, performing tasks such as “Open System Preferences > Click ‘Language & Text’ > Click ‘Input Sources’ > Check ‘Chinese’ language box > Check ‘Japanese’ language box > Quit System Preferences” can be pretty stressful when it comes do manually clicking a million times on a hundred computers.

I’ve tried Automator and using the record feature then saved it as an app, but unfortunately when I deploy that app using Apple Remote Desktop and try to open it on all the client computers in hopes of automating what I want done, an error always pops up. It wont work.

Is there a way to do this at all? I’ve searched Google for months with no luck. The only posts I see around are about automating tasks on ONE computer. I’m seeking answers on how to do the same task as stated above on multiple computers. Please help.

1. Timothy Grocoott

Are you able to control all of that from one central computer, and make all the other computers run the AppleScript? I have 10 computers I need to run a long process on every hour or so, and I have the the AppleScript on all of them. I'm looking for a way to trigger that script on all the computers from my computer. I can't put them on a timer/calendar event, because the time aat which I need to run this is unpredictable.

2. Timothy Grocott

I'm in a similar situation. Did you find a solution?

• Jason Mauai

Yes, the solution is AppleScript, a programming language that lets you tell the computer to click here, scroll there, type this and that. It's awesome. Try it.

LEARN Applescript! That will do the job!

4. Boni Oloff

I have no idea too, never use mac before, but i think there are many macro recorder in Windows you can use and do your task via RDP from the windows.

5. salim benhouhou

i have no idea how to do that but i shared it on Google+ maybe one of my friends knows

Thanks!