Why does Auto Play not come up when I connect my iPhone to my Windows computer?
Question by Basem Khawaja /

Whenever I connect my iPhone 4 to the computer the Auto Play dialog box does not get detected, yet iPhone shows up under my computer and in my iTunes. Everything is checked as ‘ask me every time’ in the Auto Play options.

Can someone help me please? I am very frustrated. I have been trying to find a fix for this problem for a long time searching Microsoft.com Help Center and the internet with no luck. Please help I am tired of this problem.

Also, I have a different issue within Auto Play. There is a device listed. D90, my camera that I used to have, but I no longer do, that still shows up under Devices. Also my HP-Administrator’s iPhone is listed in addition to the one with my name. I would like that listing The HP-Admin iPhone to be removed in addition to the D90.

Please help me. Thank you!

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , .
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Tips
Windows Tips
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
iOS Tips, Issues & Apps
iOS Tips, Issues & Apps
Jailbreaking iOS
Jailbreaking iOS
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion

Hello, the only reason that both the cameras you mentioned still appear there is because either their software is still installed in your system or if uninstall there are still remains it in your system.  Have you checked in add/remove if the software/drivers for them appears there?  If it does, uninstall it.  Even better would be for to use Revo Uninstaller to get rid of them. 

Have you taken any pictures with iPhone recently?  Any Video? or Music? You could try the following to see if has the same results:

-- take a picture with your iphone
    -- connect iphone to computer
    -- go to computer/my computer
    -- right click on iphone entry
    -- select the import pictures and videos option
    -- if the option is present and you can import the picture you took
    -- unplug iphone
    -- plug iphone back
    -- check if auto play is back

You could also try checking for drivers:

-- locate iphone device manager
    -- right click it and install the driver
    -- once driver is installed, disconnect iphone
    -- reconnect your iPhone
    -- auto-play should
    load right up

run regedit
    under HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAutoplayHandlersKnownDevices
    delete any unwanted WpdDevice listed (all mine were WpdDevicexxx etc.).

1)Open AutoPlay by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking AutoPlay.

2.In the list next to the device or type of media, click the new action you want to use.

• Jeff Fabish

You can remove the old enteries by going to Disk Management (Start -> Run/Search: "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes), right click on the device and chose "Change drive letter and paths". A new dialog will appear and simply press "Remove". 

If that doesn't work, it probably installed drivers. In which case, you will need to remove them (Start -> Run/Search: "devmgmt.msc" without quotes). 

Concerning your iPod not instantiating autoplay, everything indicates that it should be working. Does it work if you connect it to another port?