How can I autiomatically start a sleeping computer?

Mango the Fruitarian August 7, 2010

I have a laptop that I generally shut (physically) when done with. This puts it in hibernation mode.

Are there any free applications that will effectively turn on the laptop at a preset time? I want to start it at 3:55AM, as I have a backup queued to run at 4AM.

Thanks,
mango

1. Mango Wodzak

hi all, i don't think i'm technically savvy enough to mess with bios, but clearly my laptop must have it's bios already appropriately tweaked as the dennisbabkin download worked a treat.. does exactly what they claim..

thanks guys!

2. Saikat Basu

You can check if the BIOS of your computer has the PWron/Resume setting under 'Power Management'. Google has a small thread on how to enable your computer's BIOS for this function. After that, you can schedule the task to run using Task Scheduler.

3. Enderwiggin24

are you looking for something like this?

http://www.dennisbabkin.com/php/download.php?what=WOSB
    Have you ever thought about how much energy your computers use up at night or when they're not in use? Have you ever wondered if it's possible to wake up your system from a Sleep mode (or Hibernation) using a resident program and not waste all that energy?

The answer is yes, it is possible! This simple utility will let you do it. Besides that it can also send your system back into a Sleep mode (hibernate it, power it off, or log-off a user). Moreover, you can also use this utility as a scheduler to run programs without involving a Sleep mode. Our latest feedback shows that this utility could be used for an in-car PC to optimize booting time and to save battery life.

Our carbon footprint grows out of control with each day.