What can I do about audio getting stuck?

Colin May 17, 2010

If I play music (Pandora) or video for long periods, eventually the ‘record sticks’. I then cannot turn it off and have to reboot. Any ideas please?

Hi Colin,

Here's another possible scenario that I could think of: Pandora is streaming the content to your computer, and the downloaded content is cached locally in your drive. After hours of piling cache, the storage is full and so no further content could be added anymore. Thus, it stuck.

After rebooting, the cache are cleared and everything could go back to normal.

This plus the resource hog explained above could be your culprit.

Possible solution: if you have the budget - upgrade your RAM and hard drive; or free some space in the drive and avoid running other applications (including opening too many tabs in your browser) while you are running Pandora; or restart Pandora every now and then.

Hope this could help. Good luck.

2. Steve Campbell

Colin,

Both Tina and Taty made great suggestions. I tend to think that it does have something to do with system resources. Are any programs running slow on your computer?

Also, which browser are you using? It could always be a bug of some kind. Try accessing Pandora on a different browser and if you get the same result, it is probably a system resources issue or an error in Windows of some kind.

3. Taty

Hi Colin
    I agree with Tina that updating your audio drivers could help. I would also take a look at how much ram you have on your system. Pandora is a ram hog, using huge amounts of resources.

Hi Colin,

I would recommend you to update your audio drivers.

Other than that, can you please give us some more details? What operating system are you using, what are the hardware details for your audio? Thank you!