How can I attach post-it notes to a digital folder?

JGraves June 4, 2010

I would like to be able to post notes in a MAC folder,  similar to using Stickies (or other post-it app), but I want the notes to be specific to the folder, visible only when the folder is open. Is this possible with any app?

Imagine opening a real paper folder and having a post-it note on the inside reminding you to do something. I want the same thing digitally, wherein I can attach a post-it to the wall of the folder.

1. Dad_EO

Fruitgeek has the right idea. However, Apple already has a built in script for folder actions called "open - show comments in dialog" that will display the folder's Spotlight comments (enter comments via the "Get Info" command). However, the comments are displayed in a dialog box which has to be closed before you can do anything else, which doesn't meet your desire to display the notes on the "wall" of the folder.Another approach would be to use the Finder's "Show View Options" for the folder and display a picture as the background (as well as enable "always display in icon mode"). A brute force method would be to write your note using Stickies, screen capture the note to an image, and then display that image as the background of your folder. I can imagine a more elegant approach using a script and the "screencapture" terminal command to automate that process, and then enable that script using folder actions whenever the folder is opened or closed. If I have some time I'll try to put something together.

2. fruitgeek.wordpress.com

You might be able to do this with Folder Actions: right click the folder and then "Set up Folder Actions"- You might be able to find or write an AppleScript to open a text document with your notes when you click on the folder

• dEEcEEgEE

Is this possible? If so how do I do it?

3. JGraves

So, it doesn't seem like there is something like that for a Mac OS then?

4. Alceste

If you use Windows, you can use NoteZilla for that purpose. This is a turbo-charged post-it notes system. One of its features is that you can stick a given note to one or several windows quite easily. In this case, as I use 2 programs to explore folders, I open both on the relevant folder, create a note (the one you want) and "stick the note to these two windows. When either is opened, the note will pop up.

5. Mudge

I really like using "Stickies" from http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk: they have several features and the software is ad free (although the site is open for donations). I am using a Windows OS and don't recall if Stickies is compatible with Mac. I do however believe I recall seeing one such program for the Mac OS but am at a loss in directing you other than a general search for 'electronic post-it notes' or something to that affect.