How can I associate Acrobat 9.0 with WinZIP?

Chris August 13, 2010

I have Adobe Acrobat Writer 6.0 (paid version) and the free Reader 9.0 on the same machine. I don’t need to upgrade the Writer, so 6.0 works for me.

In Windows Explorer I have PDF files associated by default with Reader 9.0. But when I open ZIP archives containing PDFs (as useless as that is, I know, but I don’t ZIP .PDF files) they open in Acrobat Writer 6.0. I don’t need or want that, but I also don’t want to uninstall Writer 6.0 or WinZIP.

How can I force WinZIP to open the PDF files with the current version of the Reader application?

Thanks.

1. registrycleaner

It's terribly slow when you compare it to Foxit.

Adobe recommends not to have both Acrobat and writter in the same Win machine...try try the fix as follows.•Created a reg file named "AdobeReader.reg" to add the "Application" key•Changed the logon bat file to run the .reg file in silent mode with regedit to add the key for all users Contents of AdobeReader.reg file: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorer FileExts.pdf]"Application"="AcroRd32.exe" Logon bat file:regedit /s AdobeReader.reg

You should be able to open the PDF files from within ZIP archive using right-click menu-> 'Open With' option. The menu should open the list of programs, make sure to select Acrobat Reader and then put a check on the checkbox below. Click OK. That should do the trick. Let me know if it works.

If this fails, try installing an alternative PDF reader like Sumatra.

4. Viktor Vasconcelos

Quit using WinZIP. Does that even exist anymore?
    And quit using Acrobat, too. It's terribly slow when you compare it to Foxit, or to instant-launching SumatraPDF.

5. William Brand

Better solution: Quit using Winzip? Why are you using that old piece of junk?