Can I assign different types of internet access to different programs in Windows?

Chase April 30, 2011

Is there a way to assign wireless to one program and Ethernet or other form of wired connection to another program?

1. Chase

Ok thank you all very much, I will probably try the virtual pc method

Chase,

please do let us know whether it worked out and how you did it?

2. Mil Mar

You won't do it with Windows. Windows uses the first Internet connection it finds. If you want to use the second one, you first have to disable the first.

To be able to do it it would have to run as a service as Windows establishes an Internet connection, wired or wireless, before any user logs on. You would have to delve deep into the operating system virtually by-passing all Windows built in network software.

To understand what you are asking you would have to know about the OSI model. What you are asking is for what happens at the networking level would happen at the application level.

Never going to happen.

Some programs,like a lan game, want the ip address of the game host server. The program would only use that subnet because its all it knows.

Normal routing has no way to determine WHAT is being transported i.e. which app,because its dealing with packets and only concerned about source and distination. Nothing in the tcp/ip protocol to associate app with route.

What you could do is run your apps in virtual pc [free download] sessions with it configured to only know about that subnet and gateway you want it to run on. You may have to run route command scripts to set the session routing

source:
    http://www.computing.net/answers/networking/binding-programs-to-wireless-or-lan/32578.html

While I have never done it on Windows my first idea would be using a Firewall which allows per-connection settings.

Basically you would set the Firewall to deny all internet access on both connections and then set specific access per connection e.g. Messengers and stuff at WiFi, file transfer and other stuff on wired.

I did find a tool called ForceBindIP [which seems to be capable of doing it] but looking at the description I do not recommend using it. Duo to it's method of DLL injection it might be identified as malware. You should definitely not use it while playing online games - you might end up being banned.
    http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/forcebindip/

Windows governs internet access and not programs, i think that there is no such soft to do what you want.