Are there work-at-home jobs on the Internet that are on the up and up?

Jeri A August 24, 2013

I would just like to know if there are any honest jobs you can do at home through the Internet.

1. Joshua M

Definitely there are. I am not sure if you are already familiar with search engine optimization which is a great form of internet marketing. With this you wouldn't have to go out of your home and payment can be sent through the internet as well :-)

2. epiquestions

Odesk.com or freelancer.com.ph

3. Michael R

Amazon.com has many 'virtual call center' representatives who do all sorts of customer service.

4. alleyah

I'm surprised nobody mentioned https://www.odesk.com. I'm doing data analysis jobs there and academic consultancy (roughly 15 hours per week) and this kind of job works great for me since I am a PhD student, and I need to focus on my studies.

5. Jason K

It is hard to find one online that actually pays good. I have one and have been very successful with it. I am 32 and semi retired. Your best bets are as mentioned above, but I will also throw out Network marketing and day trading in stocks.

Stocks are difficult and the RISK is enormous, but if you can learn it, it has a HUGE payout.

The other aspect is network marketing.

There are a few keys to this though to good networking marketing companies.

1. Product and the uniqueness there of
    2. The company and their financials (is it public ally traded)
    3. The timing of the company (THIS IS THE MOST CRUCIAL) if the company has been around for years it is a bad investment.
    4. The compensation where does the majority of the money go to, corporate or the business owners
    5. And 3rd party validation. (who is praising the company? Themselves or other organizations) IF it is only themselves...steer away!
    6. THere are many with zero to VERY little overhead

425,000 people a week join a network marketing company, but not too many of them are successful...WHY? they dont follow the above rules.

I know this sounds like I am marketing myself, but I would be amiss not to mention it here. Because it is a LEGIT home based business.

If you want more details you can definitely go to my website of my company http://HealthSetFree.com.

Even if you dont like mine, you should at least consider Network marketing.

Again I have been doing this for 2.5 years and as a 32 yr old I am semi retired.

6. Ryan M

Sure, some freelance "data creation"* jobs can be done by telecommuting. I say "some" because in my experience design jobs are best done in-house, but they can still be done at home if you and your clients are fairly in sync with each other.

As with any job, you need to network, and not just online. The way I got my freelance career started, a design friend of mine introduced me to a local design studio and they eventually agreed to do design work over the internet, but that was after a period of time going to the studio in-person. I think if you've established that trust and reputation for good work, you can do many legitimate jobs at home, but the key is network, network, network just like any job.

*what I mean by "data creation" is any job that can be completely accomplished by computer or fax. Also, mailing in work (snail mail), though slow, is an option.

7. Liv G

Three of the best paying sites I could recommend are: Mylikes, Chacha Affiliate and Fiverr. Mylikes and Chacha are best if you have a ton of followers or fans and on Fiverr, you can offer any gig like writing 200-word blog posts, sketching, making a short video, creating logos/posters. etc.

Based on my experience, the above mentioned sites are the easiest ways to earn money in which you don't have to "beg" for the payment. :)

8. Joshua

Work at home jobs will depend. Some are not worth it, because will will have to work quite a bit. I seen one for a blog writer. You get paid $2 for each news articles you write. To me, that is not worth it. In the past I have seen some that paid any where from $20 to $30 per article.

If you really want to do a WAH job, it all depends on your skills. It is best to have some. Such as Web Design, Web Development, Graphic Design, and so on. It is better to look at websites of companies on their career page, they will list all their jobs and where they are at. Most websites that list WAH are out dated and most of the listing are jobs that don't pay that much.

You can also try freelance at home. If you are into photography, you can sell your photos on websites that sell stock photos. Graphic design, sell icons, backgrounds, and stock art. Web Design, make a few html website templates and/or themes for forums and CMS and sell them on an online market place.

It better to go the last route above this. As long you have the skills, you can do it and make money. You can also have a website with a few ad spaces on it to make some extra money to cover its cost and keep the rest. But you will also have to look into taxes and other legal work for it.

9. Jack O

This isn't really a full time "job", but I buy and sell electronics/phones on eBay. I look for good deals (items that are selling cheaper than everyone else's). After I buy an item, I take good pictures of the item and relist it for more money than I bought it for. I sometimes make up to double my profit! :)

10. James K

I would recommend trying Apple Computers inc. You can search jobs at cooljobs.apple.com. Look for jobs titled AHA which stands for At home adviser. I have been working for them for over two years now and love it. They will provide you everything you need including training and even reimburse you for the cost of internet and phone line. Im not saying its easy to get on with them but defiantly worth the effort.

• Jeri Atkin

Well, I never thought of them, so will give it a try. Thank you.

• Paul in NJ

When I go to cooljobs.apple.com all I see is a login page for AppleConnect.

• James K

Sorry all they changed that url only for us internal people. go to jobs.apple.com you can look from there., Happy hunting

11. Tricia

There are also local and national jobs you can do with major corporations that are legit. Locally here in FL there are people with full time with benefits jobs at HSN. There's also Hilton and Disney. Nationally: I worked for a time with 1-800-Flowers from home and Popcorn Factory is supposed to be hard to get into but great to work for. So you may consider what major corporations are close to you and google if they have work from home opportunities. I know it's for Moms but wahm.com is a good resource.

• Jeri Atkin

Thank you for the information. I will inquire.

12. Vern B

The best I've found is Rat Race Rebellion. They review sites for legitimate jobs that can be done at home. http://www.ratracerebellion.com/

• Jeri Atkin

Thank you very much. I have already applied for one of the opportunities.
      If it doesn't work out there are many more to ick from. A very good website

13. JKnapp

Try apple computers at cooljobs.apple.com they hire at home advisers for many departments. I have been doing it for over 2 years now and love it!

• Daniel

That's a login screen. How do I set up an account?

• Daniel

Thank you

• Jerrin

the site asks for a username and pwd. How do you enroll for the job program?

• James K

sorry the changed the url its jobs.apple.com Happy hunting

14. ??????? G

There are lots of activities that you can perform online and there are lots of job postings on a variety of freelance websites, such as https://www.elance.com/? of similar ones. Check them out and see what postings suit your skills. Those can be writing, translating, transcribing, web design, web programming, etc.

• kim walker

that website is no longer available :)

• Janet

Tip re: Medical Transcription

This was my career from 1988-2004 earning $60k/yr. It's a misconception that all you need to know how to do is type. You're responsible for knowing what the physician is saying when they yawn, dictate while eating, thick accents, have student doctor's or nurses dictating for them, who often are not familiar with the terminology. Operation reports are redundant with only a few changes - surgeons will speak so quickly that they slur and skip words.

Even when you work onsite at a hospital, physicians, typically, are not available to help fill in the blanks. Guessing is not acceptable. Having another transcriptionist who is familiar with the terminology and physician's voice is a great help.

Working from home or office, if you're leaving blanks your useless.

• Paul in NJ

For whatever (exceedingly dumb) reason, if you want Elance-dot-com you need this URL:

https://www.elance.com/?r

15. Matt Smith

Well, you can be a writer. That's a pretty common online job.

So is data entry, though it doesn't pay very well.

Another option is transcription (transcribing audio recordings to text). That can pay well, but it's not as easy as you'd think.

Or you could just play lots of Diablo 3 and sell items for cash. Lolz!

• Jeri Atkin

lol. Thanks, laughter is good medicine

16. Harshit J

Try this website- mturk.com

• Rodrigo Gra├ža

Yes, Jeri, if you want to work from home mturk is one of the best ones!

• Jeri Atkin

I can't seem to get the hang of that job. But I'll keep trying. Thank you

• MakeUseOf TechGuy

It's not "a job". It's a million different short tasks, but don't expect to earn much.

17. Farhan K

I use this website for verification of scams http://www.scamadviser.com.It is a FREE website allowing people to quickly check a website they are about to buy something from or employer there. Allowing online shoppers and users to find out those facts they really should know before using their credit cards.