Are there less expensive Internet service providers than Comcast/Xfinity?

Maria Bergheim April 22, 2013

I currently have Comcast/Xfinity for cable and internet. I’ve had it for a year with the discount offer, but that discount has ended. The cost for Internet service is expensive and I would really like to find another service provider. I live in NoVA and am looking to change to a different company.

I had asked for a rate change and the service tech offered a slower speed, I currently have 50, but to get a lower cost I was offered 20. Is there a difference? The so called “wireless gateway” (Arris TG 862) they gave me is supposed to allow for Wi-Fi access but that doesn’t work. I have to connect my Belkin wireless router to their box, which defeats the purpose.

I would like to find a less expensive Internet service provider. Are there other alternatives, and what would you recommend?

Thank you,
Maria

1. Bill H

Well a trick you can do is call Comcast and tell them you want to discontinue your internet and if you have it your cable. When you tell them this tell them it is because of price is to much and you will usually find that they will find some kind of offer that will lower the price for your service. Then when that discount runs out call again and do the same thing. Comcast wants to keep your business and will usually find a way to keep it. Another way to help lower your internet bill is to give back the wireless router and cable modem after you buy a cable modem so you will use your own cable modem and wireless router and won't get the 15 dollars rental fee for each of those items. 30 dollars less helps. Wal mart sells cable modems, Its where I baught my Motorola surfboard cable modem.

2. Joe Lalonde

Check with your local phone company. They are often cheaper than Comcast but you will receive a slower speed connection. Most people won't even notice the difference.

3. Chris Marcoe

The biggest price cut my family made was getting rid of cable/satellite. Anything on TV, you can find it on the computer.

Looks like your choices are Clear internet, and Cox. I used Cox when I was there. Never had a problem with it. But that was only 3 years while stationed at Ft Belvoir.