Are there any sites that let you download copyright-free code for free?

Joseph Videtto December 21, 2012

What are the best websites to download non-copyrighted coding snippets that I can use in my pipe dream commercial software app that I can sell for great profit? Without having to pay royalties, or such?

1. shaurya gupta

There are of course Open source software websites like sourceforge.

github provides codes but i think they provide it for general use and not for making others rich. no one would do that anyway.

3. Jan Fritsch

You may find a peace of code on a site or forum without a license but that doesn't mean it wasn't published somewhere else with a non-commercial license. At the end the only safe way is to ask the person writing the code.

Having that said you can't just throw pieces of code together to create a software. You need to develop the entire thing to work and hope that there are actually people who have use for it ~ let alone want to pay for it.

Finally since you are selling it you'll also have to supply fixes for problems, patches, updates. Without having an actual programmer able to do this you won't make much money. You will make a few bucks followed by bad advertising by unsatisfied users.

4. Paul Pruitt

Can't you charge for GPL code? I thought that was fine as long as you made available a free version. The questioner can do a search for GPL 2 or 3 code on a site like Sourceforge. Also aren't there even less restrictive licenses that allow you to incorporate code and not even make a free version of you incorporation available?

5. Amit Sinha

Goggled your requirement for code snippets but I dont think that you would get your desired result.

If you were the owner of code snippet you would not let it to be used by anyone without paying you royalties

Yet another person who wants to sell other peoples work.
    Good luck with that one!

7. Lisa Santika Onggrid

You can use source code from open source apps, but mostly you should abide by open source rules. I don't think there's any place to download totally free code snippets.

8. Salman Johnson

Not that I know of.