Are there any good alternatives to Find my iPhone in case I lose my iPhone?

Khanh Tran April 10, 2013

Hi,

Is there any free software that can track my phone location? I don’t like Apple’s Find My iPhone because you can’t access it from an Android browser.

Is there an alternative that should work in an Android browser?

1. Evan F

Prey will work across all platforms and without JailBreaking. As a bonus, it's even free! I think that should solve your problem.

2. harry yrrah

Hi, I found a free solution here:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/truspy-upload-data-from-your-phone-to-a-secure-server-to-track-phone-activity

They are paid service but GPS tracking is free.

If it doesn't work in Android browser,you can change its user agent to something like Apple which would trick the site and help you use the service.

• null

I am using a Motorola Atrix 4G, not so old IMO. How can I change the user agent for mobile Chhrome?

Go to menu--> Request Desktop Site and tick on it and reload the site.

4. Tim Brookes

iCloud.com should work from most modern browsers, in fact as far as I'm aware it works fine on the iPad. So I assume you have an older Android device that is incompatible with iCloud.com? If so then I'd still recommend using Find my iPhone because it's not exactly a service you need to check often, and it's free and baked-in to the OS.

Turn it on, forget about it, in the unfortunate event that you lose your phone then I'm fairly sure it will be worth getting to a compatible browser in order to find it again. It really is your best option as due to the closed-nature of iOS (it's a walled garden) nothing is going to work quite as effectively.

There are other solutions like Prey - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/track-down-recover-stolen-laptop-the-thief-with-prey/ (that article deals with laptops but it works for phones too), but because apps can't launch themselves using background processes like they can on Android, Find my iPhone is still the most powerful solution out there.

The other option is so-called "spy software" which can track location constantly, but this will void your warranty (you need to jailbreak), destroy your security (some apps won't actually work on jailbroken phones, like banking apps) and cost you money. None of that is worth it, they're pretty much all scams at the end of the day.

I'd recommend installing Prey if the iPhone version suits you (and if it's back in the App Store, Apple removed it a while ago) but don't turn off Find my iPhone. You might just regret it.

5. Norman P

I would suggest using Lookout Security & Antivirus. I have used this for quite a while now and did in fact lose my phone at school and used the missing device feature and got my phone back that very day! It has a lot of great features and has a free version that is well worth taking a look at. Hope this helps!

6. Chris Marcoe

Try here. There are 5 methods for finding yolur phone. The first one is the one you are using now. the second method is using other apps. Then there are 3 other ways to find it.

Good luck

• Chinmay Sarupria

What are the other 4 methods? Can you provide links?

• Chris Marcoe

Sorry, I forgot to put in the link...

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Lost-iPhone