Are there any Gmail web interface apps to help to filter spam?

Drsunil V July 26, 2013

Which apps for web interface of Gmail users help to filter spam?

I am looking for something which can send email to the sender to verify the sender, and thus block automated emails. Does such a solution exist?

1. Paul P

https://unroll.me/ - works quite well for me.

• Drsunil V

Pl note : Can you pl tell apps similar to box.be?

2. Justin Pot

The new Inbox puts anything with the words "unsubscribe" in them to their own tab, keeping them out of site. It's not perfect, but it really reduces clutter. Find it in the settings, under "Inbox".

• Drsunil V

I don't use Gmail frequently but I believe the only option in addition to the normal spam filter would be Smartlabels which you can enable via Settings > Labs. It wil automatically categorize Bulk messages etc.

Personally I don't really recommend such verification systems. Basically it requires a lot of regular maintenance with little profit.

For example if you do online shopping e.g. on Amazon – in order to get those automated messages you'd have to whitelist/allow the sender address beforehand which you might not know unless you have done shopping there before.
    All in all you'd probably have to whitelist the entire domain whenever you are expected to get some sort of automated/system message which will also mean all newsletters etc. will get through from there.

Also some of the people you correspond with may just ignore the message thinking it is some spam themselves.

I believe the best approach still is using spamfilter with all it's features, 'teaching' it new spam messages and if you don't want certain emails block the senders address manually.

• Drsunil V

Thanks for answer

I understand