Are SDHC cards of any use to a desktop PC?

HannibalCat February 10, 2013

I recently bought an 8GB Sandisk SDHC which I subsequently discovered my old camera would not accept. I’ve formatted it to FAT32 on my PC and gave it a go as an addon memory boost. Can’t say I noticed much difference – iTunes still sucked.

Does anyone have any novel or interesting ideas for using the card with my PC. I know I could just store stuff on it, but I have Box.net, Dropbox, Bitcasa etc for that.

1. Imesh Chandrasiri

Create a recovery disc of your PC so that you have a chance of recovering your PC if it crashes!

2. david levy

1) Even with all the cloud based storage, there may be some items that you consider too personal to store on the cloud. SD cards are a good way to "hide" that stuff in plain sight.

2) Check out ebay for an cheap chinese tablet and use the SD card to transfer movies.

3) Donate to a local school or library. You might not have a use for it, but a kid or the unemployed can use it to store their homework/resumes.

4) I use my extras to mostly to back up personal work files since the network is locked down, but the usb ports are open.

3. Nevzat Akkaya

I would use it as another backup option for some of my precious documents. You can store your private pics and videos on it and later you can display it on hardware players, tv's and such that support reading from SD cards.

4. Jan Fritsch

SDHC cards come in different speed class ratings. Even the highest one "Class 10" has a minimum specification of only 10MB/s which basically puts it below USB2.0.

Personally I would make a "rescue system" out of it by putting some bootable systems on it like an anti-virus live CD, maybe Ultimate Boot CD, some Linux distribution capable to access and backup data in case of issues e.g. Parted Magic, Redo Backup.

I'm not sure how convenient it is with an SDHC card as even USB sticks cannot be booted on all systems but that's the best I can come up with :-)

5. DalSan Mack

Another use for the SD card is storing portable apps. If you want safer internet browsing without much performance loss, install portable versions of web browsers and use KeePass to store passwords off of the hard drive. This helps, but not entirely for security, though many malware infections attack the "C:\" drive. Using SandBoxie would help further secure internet browsing from the portable browser. You can move some program installations to the SD card to improve loading times, but the amount of writes to the SD card will wear it out quicker. If you don't want to use Readyboost, which can improve some programs load a little quicker on any system, and you don't want to use the other suggestions, I would use it for quick transfer of files to other computers, or keep some portable programs and/or Linux to boot from in case of emergency or infections to gain quick access to your hard drive to either fix the computer issues or have the ability to backup important files and data.

6. Brandon Ragoo

Never did it before but you could follow this tutorial and boot Ubuntu from the SD card https://pixhawk.ethz.ch/tutorials/omap/boot_from_sd_sdhc

Two suggestions:
    1. Using a USB adapter, use it to speed up your PC (as you would use a USB flash drive). This will not work with Windows XP, but will work with later systems.
    2. Using an SD to SATA adapter (or IDE, depending on your hard disc's type), use it as pseudo hard disc on your system, and store applications on it. They will start up faster than from the hard disc.