Are MakeUseOf Giveaways available to participants worldwide?

Abraham Valencia May 30, 2013

MakeUseOf has been very useful for me. I have learned so many things here with the guides, the articles and so on.

But I wonder if the Giveaways are worldwide. I mean, if I win one, how will the item be sent or do I have to pay for the shipping?

I live in Colombia and I’d like you to make it clear for me.

1. Suyanto M

l think Indonesia does not have problem about shipping. It's proved that I has got flashdisk 8Gb and nexus 7 without paying tax and customs but my country is restricted in stuff rewards now.

2. Dany Bouffard

What about peoples who live in Quebec, Canada do we have a chance to win Givewaway like the Logitech mouse or only the giveaway that are software related. I know I won some software related giveaway and I dont know if I am elegible for hardware related, since so far I was not on the list of winners for hardware giveaway.

3. Jackson Chung

Hi Abraham,

It really depends on your situation and the address you provide to us. We have a few criteria which need to be satisfied before we can safely say for sure if we can deliver the prizes to winners. So we mostly handle these issues on a case-by-case basis.

However, the general rule is as long as you reside in a metropolitan area, you should be alright.

• Abraham Valencia

ok but have a latinamerican who live in a latinamerican country won a giveaway, and have they feedback you about the shipping process? have they reported you they received the ítem?

by the way i live in a metropolitan área.

4. Abraham Valencia

have you sent giveaways to latin america? have latin american people won giveaways? why it's to hard to win one? i have subscribed to many ones.........

• Dave Parrack

MakeUseOf has millions of readers, and hundreds of thousands of email subscribers. This means the odds of winning are sadly stacked against you, but in the same way that doesn't stop people entering a lottery, it shouldn't stop you from entering the contests.

• yuitre_

Losing a draw multiple times before does not increase your chances of winning. This is known as the gambler's fallacy as most people assume that after getting a unpicked ticket many times would indicate that the next ticket grants the gambler a higher chance of winning. Sadly, logic dictates that odds won't change (and they never will).

5. Desi Jatt

Yes. but I didn't won anything yet

6. Tina Sieber

Abraham,

In principle, MakeUseOf Giveaways are open to everyone, regardless of where they live. These are the relevant points from our Giveaway Rules:

Shipping: In any event, the claimant is responsible for all taxes and fees related to the import of any items delivered by MakeUseOf. We will deliver to any physical address for free but we also reserve the right to refuse to acknowledge winners from countries where deliverability is a known issue/problem. If we refuse delivery to your provided address after you’ve submitted a claim, you have the option of providing us with a US, UK or Australian shipping address within a 72-hour grace period. You will bear the delivery cost to your country of residence. Upon expiry of the allocated grace period, the claim is void.

Yina,

This is a bit specific, what is MUO's stance on India. If someone from India wins, will she/she get a direct despatch from MUO for needs to have a forwarding shipping address?

Sorry typo error *Tina I meant

• Justin Pot

India's proven problematic for us – giveaway items have literally disappeared in transit, and some winners have refused to pay the customs on items they've won. For this reason we ask Indian winners give us a US or UK address to ship the item to.

At least, that's what I recall. Correct me if I'm wrong, Tina.

• Jackson Chung

Hi Rajaa, Justin is right. We have sent several packages to India in the past -- some disappeared, some were held in customs. To be honest, it wasn't pleasant -- I had to explain why packages haven't arrived after several weeks of waiting, only to find that they've gone missing.

The stuff we review are mostly quite expensive, and in order to ship them, we need to insure them for the appropriate value. When they reach India, the recipients will most certainly be taxed, or the items will simply be remain there for customs offices to enjoy. If we don't insure them or announce their values appropriately, we're doing you a disservice. Customs offices open suspicious packages anyway, and if found, you will be taxed for the retail amount or even fined.

Anyways we believe, from prior experience, that if an Indian giveaway winner is chosen, it's best to allow you to handle shipping on your own using a forwarding service. That way, you'll get to control which shipping method to use (preferably one that services the area you reside in), what value to declare and whether or not to insure it.

Hope that helps.

In that case, it would be great if MUO can run an article on the various established forwarding address services available, their setup and forwarding charges, comparison review and a setup guide manual, for benefit of us users.

• yuitre_

Agree wholeheartedly with Rajaa, an unbiased review of forwarding services would be good. If I won something big and had to have it forwarded, losing it because of a screw-up during the forwarding process would be devastating-and laughable in a morbid way.

• garva sharma

it is wrong
      Some indians do the mistake and now i think that you never select a winner from india
      i am now quit.