Are defective Micro SD cards useless, or is there a way to make them non-defective?

Alexander Boyd Chivers March 19, 2013

I have in the region of 20 x 32GB Micro SD cards which I hope to sell. Only thing, it has been brought to my attention that some of them may be defective.

I am currently in the process of using the program H2testw. I’m expecting a few might fail tests.

So I don’t really want to sell these cards – only to have them returned, and get bad feedback – so! What to do? I’d like to get all my cards good really. Anyone have any suggestions?

Is your SD cards of SanDisk company ? If yes,then the company is replacing it with good ones -

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-s3-fault-is-caused-by-sandisk-memory-cards-50010684/

Usually,defective cards must be replaced by the company.

2. Réy Aétar

if its corrupted there is nothing much u can do but sir i would like to say dont use those very cheap cad readers they seem to corrupt the cards .. i dont have proof but have had such experience

3. Nitesh Badala

SD card or any storage devices will be useless only and only if its first(0) index is damaged otherwise it can be used.to non-defective your card scan with anti virus or format from command prompt or format in linux platform.

4. DalSan M

The only way I can see selling the defective cards is by making "geek" jewelry or other artistic craft with them. The quickest and easiest to make that may sell decently would be Micro SD earrings. It may sound funny, but you may be surprised at what people would buy in the "geek" genre. If there are any Micro SD to SD adapters, that could be made into pendants or keychains.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

I think I saw a few over at Instructables.com. Nice idea.

Well, you need to test them, that much is clear. Jan's suggestion may also work, but basically, if they are faulty, then they are faulty. and you shouldn't sell them. At the end of the day, you can't have your cake (sell all the cards) and eat it too (get good reviews even for faulty cards).

6. Jan Fritsch

If it is a logical problem e.g. it won't let you partition it you can try using different tools or via Linux. For anything else there isn't much you can do. Usually it's either the flash chips being damaged or corrupt or the circuitry. Unless you have the a lab with the right soldering equipment (and of course the knowledge) for such electronics you will do more harm than good. Also the time necessary doesn't really make it profitable.