Are all Windows 7 updates important and do they slow down the computer?

Erlis Dhima November 11, 2012

After checking all my Windows updates, I was thinking: Are all the updates important? I have about 190 installed updates! About 85 updates are only security updates for Microsoft Windows.

I was also thinking if an update is installed for a certain program, and than later there is another update, is still important the previous update? Or it just slows down the computer?

Does uninstalling all the updates, cleaning the registry, temp files and so on, and than installing again all the updates again, speed a little the computer?

P.S. I’m also interested in any kind of suggestion regarding the updates and how they affect the Windows speed & performance!

Not important and they slow down the computer/laptop and YouTube

2. Douglas Mutay

My advice is: never miss an update especially if the system mark it as important. you have nothing to loose. Don't even bother about disk space because installing system update is just like installing your OS...

3. Tebawiha Lelhchhun

Basically, no.It depends on the user.

4. dhanunjayarao chunduri

No.
    All updates that are considered important are those that are marked to be installed by default. Updates considered optional are obviously listed under optional updates.

5. Yang Yang Li

Windows Updates are... a waste of time and bandwidth. I built my own computer and installed an OEM copy of Windows 7 with SP1 (price gouged!). From the very beginning, Windows Update ceased to function altogether. For the past two years, I have received no system or security updates for Windows. My computer has not disintegrated or even ceased to work since then. I am in fact typing this on it right now. So in my experience, Windows Updates are not as important as people make them out to be.

Source: <==This Dude.

6. Dimal Chandrasiri

depends on the update it self! if it's a security update, then it would be good idea to have them installed! but other than that, nothing to worry about windows updates!

7. Ryan Dube

Updates are very important - at least the critical updates are. They keep your computer patched from the latest virus threats and vulnerabilities the moment that Microsoft and the security community knows about it. You get your updates the same time major corporations do - so keep them enabled.

This is a good explanation as to why they are important: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-reasons-running-latest-windows-security-patches-updates/

Again, that goes for critical updates. The problem I've always had with Microsoft updates is the packaging of other "nice-haves" into the update process, like the latest version of IE or other Microsoft product updates that I may not actually want.

The good thing is that you can customize your windows update process to only install those critical updates, but allow you to decide whether you want to install the "nice-to-have" ones later.

Lots of great answers to this same question back in 2011 as well - some great reading if you're interested:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/windows-updates/

8. Rakesh Mishra

they are important and slows down the computer but u can download the required updates only from the list

9. Boni Oloff

Updates is important. What ever it is, try to install them.

Yes! All updates are important as they plug security holes and fix bugs in Windows. Some may slow down your computer because of the added overhead to keep your data and personal info safe. You should also set Windows Update to Update other Microsoft software such as Office etc. Other apps may have a Check for Updates item in Help drop down menu. People that say updates are not important are wrong. This is how viruses, trojans, worms etc. spread when unsecure computer is infected and then unsuspecting friends receive malware thru e-mail chat client etc..

11. Erlis Dhima

Thanks for all your answers! :)

12. Aniket Singh

no all updates are not important....u can can turn off automatic update...it will not affect on ur OS

13. Nikhil Chandak

All updates are not important but they give ur computer or version a new look & u will be surprised by the amazing way u will use the computer after updates . For the updates u can only think to update ur computer or not ................
    You can use CCcleaner ( as suggested by Lisa ) or alternatives to CCcleaner such as Drive Tidy & Xleaner for cleaning unnecessary & junk files !

windows updates should not decrease windows performance unless something goes wrong.
    when windows make available a news version like 8, you will get a dvd windows 8 now suppose windows a year later release new dvd copies of windows 8, these DVDs will come windows 8 updated like for example Windows 8 SP1..

some updates are security updates so are important others can be for drivers like new version of graphic driver...

15. Jan Fritsch

Are all Windows updates important? No.

It depends on the type of updates. For example a Windows Service Pack contains all important updates released prior to it. So it's a good idea to install the service pack first and then all updates offered afterwards.
    Then there are "delta" updates that rely on previous once. They only include things that have changed since the last one. Installing an delta update prior to another one will probably brake the functionality since they rely on previous once.

Updates won't effect the speed & performance of Windows. They (in simple terms) exchange old system files against newer updated and improved once.

Uninstalling, cleaning and re-installing updates won't speed up your computer either. Doing this may cause other issues that effect functionality in certain situations.

• Jan Fritsch

I meant to write "Uninstalling a delta update prior*..."

16. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Sometimes updates are not automatically removed once applied, so the remaining files might take up your disk space. Use CCleaner to clean the unnecessary files. As far as I know, updates are important and won't give you any trouble rather than taking up space.