Why is Archicad 14 slow on my Windows 7 PC?

Driton Ademi March 17, 2012

I use Archicad 14. It works too slowly on my Windows 7 64-bit machine. It has a Core i7 processor with 8GB of RAM, and the same program runs quickly on Windows XP with an Intel dual core. So, what could be causing it to be slow on my Windows 7 machine?

1. hendro

hi ..

I want to ask about the process of rendering ArchiCAD. why the processor, memory and VGA I walked leisurely, even though many of my objects and use a lot of light .. ArchiCAD rendering performance is not using the processor or memory or vga ... renderingnya so very long process, in contrast to 3DMax. thank you

2. Indronil Mondal

If the only change to the computer is a new 64-bit operating system, it
    is likely that ArchiCAD will operate slower. The reason is simple.
    When ArchiCAD opens a project in 64 bit mode as opposed to 32-bit mode,
    the pointers to memory are double the size. That is, every object, in
    the project now will have a pointer to it that is 64-bit instead of
    32-bit. Depending on how many objects are in the project, the
    additional memory for the pointers could add up to 10-20% of the
    original file size. If the project was already using virtual memory,
    it will be using 10-20% more virtual memory in 64-bit mode. Virtual
    memory can be thought of memory that is slower than the computer's hard
    drive. Depending on how fragmented the drive is, and the use of
    indexers and virus checkers on this drive a significant performance
    penalty could be incurred for the lack of physical memory

• Bill Gates

This is the biggest BS i have ever heard !

If an app is only 32bit it will always be 32bit.

As for virtual memory ... if IS the hard drive, also known in the good old days as swap memory. IF you can remeber that far back. Slower than the hard drive ... really ?

" Depending on how fragmented the drive is, and the use of
      penalty could be incurred for the lack of physical memory"

True a fragmented drive can have performance impact. But tell me does the indexer and virus checker run 24 x 7 ? or do they actually run as and when required to reduce the load on any system, as long as the system isn't under powered ?

As for the 64bit memory space, thats were Win7 built-in 32bit memory manager kicks in and ensures that any 32bit apps only gets to see 32bit memory address space. Performance hit ? none that you could ever see.

So stop BS'ing unless you can ACTUALLY BS.

Ohhh and jst for your info. Am a programmer. I've written program both in 16/32 and 64bits. Not only for Windows, but for Apple and Linux.

No program written in 16bit are suddenly 32bit just because they are loaded onto a 32bit OS or 64bit OS

Likewise, no programmes written in 32bit can suddenly become 64bits.

If they were ... then hell ... you've magically created a self aware programme !

Think you've been watching one too many Terminator et al SkyNET

Do yourself and everyone else and put that computer back in its box. Take or ship it back to where brought it from and ask for a refund.

Then go back and play in the sand pit where you truely belong.

Enjoy ! :)

• Indronil Mondal

check out the ArchiCAD faq what i wrote is right ..i think you should go back to school..

• Wpbdan

Your reply did not help at all.  You ranted about another reply and did not provide any help.  Why?
        Damn, here I go doing the same thing ;)

3. Rufus

Hard to say without knowing more about each machine but it is not necessarily going to be faster on the i7 machine. Archicad 14 is a 32 bit program so it will not make use of more than 4gb of RAM anyway and possibly it is not using multiple cores on the i7 either, the clock speed may even be higher on the dual core machine anyway.

That said it shouldn't be significantly slower. Try running the program in XP compatibility mode. If that doesn't work your best bet might be to upgrade to Archicad 15 which supports 64 bit operating systems.

4. Jorge

Try turning off the win 7 pretty animations i think that's in the power saver control panel.

This Article describes how to troubleshoot 3D performance problems 
    http://www.archicadwiki.com/3dSpeed#ArchiCAD_14_3D_redraw_slow

3D model navigation speed will increase if you turn "enable shaders" to 0.
    http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=183885
    Set the "Enable Shaders" to 0 in the registry or preferences: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/GRAPHISOFT/ArchiCAD(or)ArchiCAD-64//OpenGL

My first guess would be that your graphics card is not powerful enough to handle the 3D rendering. Recommended Video Cards

Archicad Wiki - Speed issues