Do apps and HD videos take up a lot of space on the iPod Touch?

Jonathan November 15, 2010

I’m trying to decide between the 8 GB ($229) and 32 GB iPod Touch ($299).

I have three questions.

1. Do apps take up a lot of space?
2. I see the iPod has the ability to record 720p video. How much space would an average 1-minute video take up at the highest resolution?
3. Does the 4th generation 8 GB and 32 GB iPod Touch’s use the same specs? I’ve read that the 3rd generation 8 GB was slower than the 32/64gb iPods.

I only have an iPod Touch 2G and iPhone 4 but I'll try to answer what I can

1. average sizes for
    Tools and stuff (Shazam, Soundhound, Skype, Twitter, ...) <10MB
    iBooks, iTranslate, Remote, TeamViewer, etc. 10-20MB
    Games range from 20-200MB
    NAVIGON and other stuff with lots of offline data can go up to 2GB and more

2. never really tested video recording
    * as for movies I usually encode them to work on both desktop and mobile device, therefor decent quality usually has around 1,4GB

3. the iPod Touch 3G was only offered in 32GB and 64GB, the 8GB model released at the same date was a refreshed 2G but with the new iOS version (3.1 at that time)
    this is where the hardware difference came from

I usually go with a more theoretical approach in selecting:
    If you already fear running out of space bigger is better (files are getting bigger from day to day). If you are planning to watch AND record videos, you should definitly go for the 32GB model!

Filling up 32GB is easy, squeezing everything within 8GB is tough~ I mean, 70$ for 4 times the space should be worth it.

2. Jon

Instead of being lazy, I decided to use Google and answer my own question. :)

1. Apps generally take up less than 10MB of space, but some like Beatmaker can take over 100MB.

2. This isn't really a big issue to me, actually, since I can just upload the videos to YouTube. It's not like I'll be recording hours of video on this thing.

3. According to Apple's web site, the specs are the same.