What are the best apps to find, lock, delete contents on my Android phone in case I lose it?

Darren Reynolds September 2, 2012

What are the best “Find My” Android apps to find, lock, delete the contents on my Android phone? I have an HTC Desire HD and they had an app, but seems as though that’s now been knocked on the head.

1. Mel Reynolds

You might check out http://preyproject.com/

2. Irshaad Abdool

NetQin

3. Tihomir RAdeff

avast!

4. Darren Reynolds

Thank you to everyone that replied. I'm now gonna play and see which one to go with.

1. Cirrus Manager
    2. WaveSecure
    3. Cerberus
    4. SeekDroid
    5. PhoneLocator Pro
    6. Anti-Theft Prey
    7. PlanB (if the phone is already stolen and you did not have a tracker installed on your phone)
    8. Lookout Mobile Security
    9. Android Lost
    10. Prey

Quite a few option there Eh!!! :P

6. Krishna Vallabhaneni

Lookout has a bunch of apps. but if you already lost your phone try using the Plan B app

7. Pierre BRIENNE

Avast Mobile Security ( http://www.avast.com/free-mobile-security ) allows you to locate, scream, lock and wipe your phone remotely, by sending a SMS to your number, or by logging in your online Avast account. It also includes malware protection and a firewall on rooted phones. Did I mention it's free?
    Another option is Prey ( http://preyproject.com/ ). If your phone is stolen, you text your phone number 'GO PREY', and it locks the phone, and sends you by email its location. There is a free version that doesn't include live tracking.

Wheres My Droid app pro ($3.99) -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alienmanfc6.wheresmyandroid

The pro version can remotely wipe your phone as well as SD card's data and lock it.

This is easily my favorite question asked on Android apps.

The consensus among Android experts (I use that term loosely) is that Cerebus is the end-all-be-all of security apps. I heard that it actually will, when activated, use the front-facing camera to take pictures of any phone-thieves, which the police can use as evidence and for identifying the thief.

However, that said, Project Prey recently released an Android app. However, I haven't actually used it yet. But given Prey's reputation on laptops, I imagine the app is well developed and worth looking at.

One of my favorite apps to recommend to people is Plan B, which can be remotely installed - you don't actually need to install it to use it.

Hope one of those apps suits your needs. I haven't looked at the app Dalsan suggested, but it looks good too!

• Dalsan

I had forgotten about Cerebus when I noticed it on XDA Developers years ago. Lookout allows you to monitor multiple devices in one account, but I should try out Cerebus as it is the top security tracking software amongst the XDA hacking community built by XDA developers.

• Darren Reynolds

Brilliant, thank you for this, some useful info :)

10. steven ...
  11. Dalsan

Lookout Mobile has a free version and a paid version that allows backup, restore, gps locator, scream mode even if the phone is on silent, complete data wipe from remote location, built in virus and firewall protection all in one. I use it on all my phones in the family, and if necessary would pay for the extra services when necessary. There are others that work just as well, but with being able to try free and keep using the free version with the option to pay for the extras, I like Lookout. Everything can be done through any internet connected device with a web browser.