What application opens .lnk files?

John Madeira February 5, 2011

What application opens this type of file?

1. mukesh srivastava

i attached a usb cable to my micromax mobile model and ever since that moment, every single folder on my mass memory become lnk type and i can't access any folder. how can i solve this problem without formating my phone. help me by emailing me at sri.mukesh12@gmail.com

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you and recommend that you ask a new question. Please use the respective button on MakeUseOf Answers.

2. Kct4jkd

I have windows xp and all the files on my desktop converted to .lnk I have tried some of the recommendations but every time I go to download a file to correct I just keep getting an error that says can't find file extension to run the program.

How do I fix this? 

Did you try the .lnk registry fix, yet? 
      Go to the following site, download the lnk file association fix and follow the instructions: Winhelponline.com

3. jamie

i attached a usb cable to my nokia n97 and ever since that moment, every single folder on my mass memory become lnk type and i can't access any folder. how can i solve this problem without formating my phone. help me by emailing me at jamie1k_86@yahoo.com

Jamie,

you should post a new question!

• Vinoth

even i hav the sam problem with my nokia x6...dnt know wat to do..if u gt ur problem solvd then email me hw to get rid of this pproblem..at vinoth1993@gmail.com

• Frm Ethiopia

I think your computer has a virus, that got into your phone you attached it. I've seen some viruses that change (create) shortcuts and hide the folders. Try changing the attributes of all folders in cmd (I am sure you can find help on that)

Hey John,

Didi you find the suggestions above helpful? Let us know.

Aibek

Fidelis and ha14 are correct, but to explain in simpler language, .lnk files are shortcut files. They exist to allow you to open a file from a second location (for example, the 'recent documents' are all shortcut files). They typically 'take on' the characteristics of the files they point to, but obviously this will not work if the original file is not accessible (e.g. if it has been deleted, or is on another computer).

No one should send you .lnk files, and there are some know exploits that allow .lnk files to be used to install viruses, so if you received such a file in your email, don't try to open it.

Microsoft Windows .lnk files operate as Windows Explorer extensions, rather than file system extensions. As a shell extension, .lnk files can't be used in place of the file except in Windows Explorer, and have other uses in Windows explorer in addition to use as a shortcut to a local file (or GUID). These files also begin with "L".

Generally the effect of double-clicking a shortcut is intended to be the same as double-clicking the application or document to which it refers, but Windows shortcuts contain separate properties for the target file and the "Start In" directory. If the latter parameter is not entered, attempting to use the shortcut may generate "missing DLL" errors not present when the application is accessed directly.

If you have file association problems then you will need to fix it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172053

Hello, quick question, did somebody send you a file by email with that extension? If somebody did, you will not be able to open it. The reason you will not be able to open this file is because they did not attach the actual file. They attached a shortcut to a file and hence you can not open it. The solution for this is to ask the person to attach the file where that shortcut points to. On your computer you can recognize a file with the .lnk extension because the icon shows an arrow pointing up and to the right even if the extension .lnk does not show.