Why does every application I try to launch trigger a ‘Run As’ dialog in Windows?

Stuart August 1, 2010

All of a sudden, a strange event started occurring. Every time I select an application to execute, a “Run As” dialog box appears asking me to uncheck a security icon to protect file security, even though I am logged in as Administrator.

It’s a nuisance, and I’d like to disable it. Can anyone inform me how to disable it? Thanks.

1. Duos

Hi I am so glad I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Aol for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a incredible post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent work.

2. cannot delete file

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Anyway, just wanted to say great blog!

3. Ericpeacock79

tina had right answer:

"Whatever caused the issue has probably damaged some registry keys. If possible go back to a previous restore point. Alternatively, you could try restoring select keys manually, as described in this article: http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php

4. 413736603

maybe your system was attracted by virus

Stuart,

this sounds like a malware issue. Did you check whether there (now) is another user account with administrator rights?

Please scan your computer with Malwarebytes and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Whatever caused the issue has probably damaged some registry keys. If possible go back to a previous restore point. Alternatively, you could try restoring select keys manually, as described in this article: http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php

WARNING: Editing the registry can damage your operating system beyond repair and force you to perform a fresh installation. Make a backup of your data and the registry before you attempt to edit it manually!

A temporary solution would be to turn off the 'Run As' option altogether. I assume you are using Windows XP because many other users using XP have run into this problem. To disable right-click > My Computer, go to > Manage > Computer Management and expand > Services and Applications > Services. Within the details pane, right-click > Secondary Logon Service, right-click > Properties, and in the > General tab set > Startup type to > disabled. Finally, click > Stop, then > OK and reboot your computer.