Can I use the Apple App Store in Europe with my US iPhone?

Katerina Kudlackova November 10, 2011

About 3 months ago I bought an iPhone i then US through eBay. The phone is jailbroken and unlocked. About a month ago I moved to Europe and now Apple is giving me a new conract to agree on if I want to download or update any applications. It is strange because the first couple weeks it let me download whatever I wanted. When I read through the new contract, it says that I am not allowed to download outside the US. I am in Europe now so that makes things difficult and I am afraid to agree to this and get in trouble. Here’s what it says:

REQUIREMENTS FOR USE OF THE APP AND BOOK SERVICES

These App and Book Services are available for individuals aged 13 years or older. If you are 13 or older but under the age of 18, you should review this Agreement with your parent or guardian to make sure that you and your parent or guardian understand it.

The App and Book Services are available to you only in the United States, its territories, and possessions. You agree not to use or attempt to use the App and Book Services from outside these locations. Apple may use technologies to verify your compliance.

Use of the App and Book Services requires compatible devices, Internet access, and certain software (fees may apply); may require periodic updates; and may be affected by the performance of these factors. High-speed Internet access is strongly recommended. The latest version of required software (including, but not limited to iTunes and/or Mac App Store software) is recommended to access the App and Book Services and may be required for certain transactions or features and to download App and Book Products previously purchased from the App and Book Services. You agree that meeting these requirements, which may change from time to time, is your responsibility. The App and Book Services are not part of any other product or offering, and no purchase or obtaining of any other product shall be construed to represent or guarantee you access to the App and Book Services.

Do you know why it does that and what can I do to make it work? I might be also soon canceling my US account and will need to change to a European bank account, which I will want to use with my iPhone. Is that even possible?

1. Haddad Farah

Thanks a lot

2. Haddad Farah

and how can i buy the cards and have them shipped outside the US, because i have the same problem as this gentleman 

At best you know someone in the US who will buy the Gift cards and ship them to you.

Otherwise you can use one of the many online sellers or eBay.
      Prizes vary but usually it's about $20 for a $15 Gift Card, $30 for a $25 Gift Card and so on. Shipping is another story ~ depending on where the seller is located they only have batches of Gift Cards to sell so shipping may take anywhere from 1-6 weeks.

I haven't bought any Gift cards yet so no experience on reliability/trustworthiness.

You can keep your old iTunes account for the Apps you already own ~ you will also have to use it to update these Apps.

For new purchases I suggest to get an iTunes Store account within your current region because Apple may disable your old account if it's frequently used to buy stuff outside the US.

An US iTunes Store account requires and US payment method and billing address. If you cancel your bank account and get a new one you obviously can't use it as a payment method anymore. The only way to use the US Store then would be to buy US iTunes Gift Cards from the internet.

• KK

Thank you so much!!!! I just did it and believe it solved my issue :)))) You made my day!

glad to hear it worked for you. thanks for an update.