Is there an app that can be used to see if you’re being spied on?

Stefanie November 10, 2011

I want to see if the police have put something on a cell phone for surveillance. Is there an app that can check for this?

Jon,

As James has stated, I'm not sure I would trust Cracked, but to be fair - anyone who claims roboroaches are a problem worthy of my attention has lost all validity in my book. 

Anyway, yes. It's going to take a lot of work. I did state to leave only your phone connected to reduce the amount of traffic, but regardless it's going to require work. There is no "Are the police spying on me, if so remove it" app.

You realise cracked is a parody site, about 90% BS? It certainly shouldnt be quoted a source for any information you find , jon. 

As for wireshark, its the most reliable solution out there - Jeffery gave explicitly instructions to "leave only your cell phone connected" to the network when sniffing. ie, dont browse facebook etc. from other computers. It WILL pick up any communications, and yes, visiting any websites causes a mass of connections to be made all around the world. So don't do that when you're trying to find other things, or learn how to use filters based on originating device IP.

3. Elliott

they don't need to put anything on phone to find out texts, web activity, where n when used [via cell phone triangulation] or conversations.... can all be done remotely via your mobile phone provider.

4. Jesse Niou

On some rooted phones (at least for Android), like I use Liquid Smooth ROM, there is something called Phone Goggles.  If you turn it on, any program must get permission before transmitting data.

It's probably easier to just wipe your phone, that should do it. If the police want to track you, they can do so legally (without a warrant) by contacting your ISP and requesting your records, at least in the United States. The authorities typically won't install anything on your device, as this may be illegal, it's also far too risky and complicated. 

Presuming that the spyware is installed on your phone (which I doubt it is), in order for the surveillance to transmit any data, it will have to report back. Disable your network and leave only your cell phone connected. Install Wireshark and monitor your network activity. Traditional spyware will report back in a 15 minute interval.