What can be done if an AOL account was hacked?

Marcus November 25, 2011

I hope someone can help me. My friends AOL account was hacked and no matter how many times she has changed the password the account is compromised.

It is not a malware because the hacker is targeting certain contacts to retrieve information. The hacker also has compromised her credit card and bank accounts, but has not used the accounts just tracking her activity and targeting contacts via transactions made.

Is there a way we can find out where the hacker is logging in from so we can get a better idea of whom it may be?

1. Lee-Anne

I CANT SEEM TO GET IN MY EMAIL ACCOUNT SINCE FRIDAY IT SEEMS SOMEONE CHANGED MY PASSWORD AND SEEMS MY INFORMATION ON MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN CHANGED AS WELL HOW CAN I GET MY EMAIL UNBLOCKED AND HOW CAN I GET IN!!!!!PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE SO GR8

call 1-855-855-797-3738 as mentioned on forget password page.

Hi Marcus,

You can, but this is definitely over simple technical support's jurisdiction. You should get in contact with the authorities, as soon as possible. Call your bank and freeze your account, let them know what is going on. Place a fraud alert on your credit report by contacting Equifax, Experian and TransUnion (phone only? 800-680-7289). Let them know that no malicious activity has been found yet, but you have reason to believe there could be.

Contact your local authorities, they should assign someone to the case. Take your network offline until the detective says it's clear to do otherwise. Change passwords to all confidential networks (online banking, social networks, etc.) from a different network that you're sure is secure.

try zemana, necause will protect whatever trying to type on the net. Also will alert if something suspecious is on the pc trying to steal passwords...
    http://www.zemana.com/

Hello, have you checked if there is any keylogger or any automatic remote desktop connection to your friends computer?  I know you are asking how to find out, which is duable but it can be tricky. 

First thing I would do would be to contact bank and credit card institution and report what happened.  They can either give new passwords, pin, etc for your accounts and they can also monitor your accounts for activity.  Second thing I would do, would be to export your contacts somewhere if your email lets you, and then delete all the contacts from your email.  Create another account only for important information and make sure to change the information in the bank and credit card to that other account.  Do not use this account for anything else.  Try not to use the hacked account at all, or only for activities where no important information is used. 

Also make sure to scan your computer for malware.  That would be one of the most important things you can do.

when financial damage or possibilities of such damage is there,you should report it to police.

"It is not a malware because the hacker is targeting certain contacts
    to retrieve information. The hacker also has compromised her credit card
    and bank accounts, but has not used the accounts just tracking her
    activity and targeting contacts via transactions made."

what does this mean ? .
    retieving from other contacts ?!
    and how can you be sure about key loogers are not installed.

change your password,
    and log in using on sceen keyboard.
    always enable https.

hacker can be traced from the ip address.
    even if he is hiding behind proxies, cyber police may track him according to the situation.