Has anyone used an updated Google Play APK?

Tracci October 3, 2014

Has anyone tried a more updated com.android.vending.#.#.#.apk version successfully yet? Android.vending files usually refer to third party derived installable files for the Google Play Store. Users can sometimes use these files to install a newer version of the Play Store.

1. DalSan M

The difficulty in installing just the Play Store apk is finding the exact file that is compatible with the version of Android you are using. Even then, it may not work with the device you are trying to install it on. There may be many trial and errors required before finding one that works.

There may be methods of installing the apk properly through ADB, but can be difficult for novice users of ADB and commands. The only method I tried that actually worked was installing the GApps package that was compatible with the device and Android version I was using.

2. Kannon

Hi Tracci, I've used a lot of different Play Store/services APKs and very few of them actually work when the device is older or slow.

In the few times I got the APK to work, for a short period of time before crashing, I followed the prescribed method of acquiring Root access and then manually copying the Play Store into the system directory. This entails enabling root access in your file browser. I've come to favor using ES File Explorer for this purpose, but many browser can get root access easily and offer the same degree of flexibility as ES.

The Play Store APKs shouldn't require that you actually go through these extra steps. In fact, most users report that simply installing the APK works, without any additional steps.