Any suggestions for a program to move files from loads of sub-directories into one folder?

Rob Hindle0 March 26, 2013

I’ve got a CD full of hundreds of photos, I need to copy them to my PC but all into the same folder, at present they are in dozens of deeply nested folders. (There are no name conflicts, they are from the same digital camera and sequentially numbered).

Any ideas for a quick alternative to spending an hour copying manually?

1. SaapeXD MoHods

Search .jpg or .png (whatever the extension of the images are in) , All will be shown in one folder in the Search results, Select All and copy them to the folder you want them to be in! :D

2. prashanth singh rathore

The easiest way would be w/o a cmd... just open the folder in Windows Explorer and search for *.*, then select everything except the subfolders and drag/drop or cut/paste to the desired location.

3. Chadi El Haj

I think the best way to do so is to use the *.* option if you are using windows 7.

go to the CD folder> in the search bar type *.* then click enter it will show all the files outside their folders. right click on a blank space on the folder and click sort by type. then single click on the 1st file then go all the way to the last file you want and click Shift + left mouse click right click on the selected files then copy and past on the folder you want.

4. Rob Hindle0

All 3 answers look good, I went with this one as simple (why didn't I think of it!) and needing nothing more than a standard Windows installation, job done, thanks.

• Rob Hindle0

OOPS the message order has changed. So to clarify: the preferred answer was from Derrick Faria (which is doing well for upvotes too!)

• Tina Sieber

Rob, I updated the thread so that not your own comment, but the one from Derrick is marked as the best answer.

5. Derrick Faria

The way I do it depends on which version of windows you are using. But they main idea is you use the windows SEARCH feature. When you have the search window up in Windows XP point the search location to your CD drive and search for *.jpg this will show you all the photos on that CD in the results. Then you can just select them all and copy then paste them whenever you like. For Windows Vista/7/8 just open "Computer" and then open the CD drive. Once you are in the root of you CD drive the put *.jpg in the search bar on the top right corner of the Windows Explorer Screen. It show again display in the results all your photos on your CD and then again you can just select them all and copy then paste them whenever you like. I hope this helps
    -Derrick

6. Manuel Guillermo L

While it is not its original function, you can easily use the program "Everything" to do that. You can find that program at the following address:
    http://www.voidtools.com/
    That program is used to look for files. Just write the path to your CD (like "D:") and it will list every folder and file there (first folders, then files). Select all the files (not the folders), right click, cut, and paste them somewhere else.

FileSieve, perhaps can do what you want.
    http://software.bootblock.co.uk/?id=filesieve3
    FileSieve supports copy sorting based on file extensions, MP3 tags....